Carb leaking from overflow

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
skinnybob

Carb leaking from overflow

Post by skinnybob »

Just put it back together, got a flood from left carb, any suggestions? Thanks.
James P
Oil Injector

Re: Carb leaking from overflow

Post by James P »

This hasn't happened to my KR-1 (yet...), but has happened to my TZR250: Put carbs back on, spend time fitting everything else, turn on fuel and attempt to start engine - large puddle of fuel began forming beneath bike! So...carbs off, remove float bowls, can't see anything wrong!

After refitting the float bowls, I decided to test the carbs while they were off the bike to prevent wasted time if they still weren't right. I held both carbs in the horizontal position while hooked up to the line from the fuel tank. I turned on the tap and saw fuel flowing through the in-line filter - no sign of any leakage or overflow at all. I refitted the carbs to the bike and checked them again (before fitting air box etc.) and still no leakage or overflow. I refitted the rest of the parts and tried to start the engine - started much easier with no sign of leaking fuel!

From the above experience, it appears that floats can stick open, especially if the carbs were dry beforehand.

I have found the standard PWK28 float bowls very tricky to remove and replace. If you have the knack, it can be done easily, but I don't do it often enough to become proficient. Your problem could be the same as the one I had with my TZR, but could also be due to a float arm having been bent when the float bowls were removed or replaced, perhaps causing the float to stick open.

Regards,
James
skinnybob

Post by skinnybob »

Thanks very much
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Or if you have not had the carbs apart, it could be dirt jamming the needle valve open. A good ultrasonic clean, ensuring that you take off the needle jet housing (held in place with security screws) should do the trick.
While you have the petrol tank off check inside for dirt/rust and give it a rinse out,also clean the fuel tap and filter.
Good luck.
Cheers
Bernie :)
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300