Pilot jets

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
DougB
Oil Injector

Pilot jets

Post by DougB »

On the 1S the pilots are #40, and we all seem to run the air screws about 1/4-1/2 a turn out if I read most of the posts right even though the spec is 1-1/2 turns out. Mine seems to be happiest with the air screw about 1/4 out but that doesn't really leave anything to play adjust with. To my thinking that means standard is to weak so turning the screw in richens the idle mixture.

So does anyone run or tried running bigger pilots (maybe #45) to richen it up and then set the airscrew correctly somewhere near the book spec?
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Pilot jets

Post by JanBros »

as long as you can get a correct setup, I see no reason to change pilot jets even if the air screw is turned out only 1/4th.

from experience I always start at 3/4th out and rarely have to adjust.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
DougB
Oil Injector

Re: Pilot jets

Post by DougB »

Agreed, it does run ok at 1/4 but the screws are only just off the seats so there's hardly any air mix in pilot fueling. I figured go to 45's and wind the screw out to 1 or 1-1/2 and there'll be a better fuel mix in the pilot emulsion tube before it heads up to the carb tract.

Anyway I got a set of 45's, fitted them, it runs exactly the same as it did before but with the screw 1-1/4 out so the bike might not be better for it but I'm happier.

Right, need something else to overthink now. What about tyre pressures? :wink: