Engine rebuild

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Engine rebuild

Post by SP_BOTT »

Hi, has a pictorial engine rebuild been done on the site?? can't find anything so far, and can't remember how it came apart last year :oops: :oops:

for starters, do you just pop the crank in, seal the cases, and bolt it together?? was hoping to do something on it tomorrow. or are there balance bits etc that need doing first???

cheers
Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Re: Engine rebuild

Post by Gerrit »

One you should never forget is to fit the gearbox input shaft bearing (the one behind the clutch) before boxing up the cases. If you do forget, you'll have to split the cases again.
"Mine is a long and sad tale", said the mouse.
"Indeed it is", said Alice, looking at the mouse's tail.
jarno
Oil Injector

Post by jarno »

Sp_bott

Hope this helps a little

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11554

Cheers Jarno,
Kr1s C1 zeus blue
Kr1s c2 black green
ZXR400 SP
ZXR250A
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Thanks guys, good advice =D> after reading that, now wondering whether to have the crank rebuilt, or just try it, not hard to remove the engine if a seal etc leaks, just my time like most on here.
Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Post by Gerrit »

If you can move the inner crankshaft main bearings on the shaft you definitely wil need a crank rebuild.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

you can download the service manual at the homepage, in there is step by step explained how to dismantle the engine and put it back together.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Gerrit wrote:If you can move the inner crankshaft main bearings on the shaft you definitely wil need a crank rebuild.
Bearings feel and spin with no clattering so think they are all good, replaced the stator end seal, but other seals just look a little worn on the outside, probably me being a bit picky, as I know they don't move, maybe a slight coating of Yamabond on assembly.

I do have all the manuals in paper form, but good clear colour pics are a bit easier to refer to.
Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Post by Gerrit »

What I meant is "Can you slide the inner main bearings sideways on the centre shaft?" If so the interference fit is gone and the centre shaft will need replacing.
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Thanks Gerrit, but glad to say, the bearings are solid on the shaft and won't move.

Got most of it together today, but lost the gearbox clusters, :oops: so I will carry on tomorrow, and see how far I get, need a gasket set, so it's not going to be completed, for quite some time :)

Also found a good thread by Daz680?? on his rebuild