balance shaft

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

balance shaft

Post by SP_BOTT »

While assembling the engine, kept having doubts about the fitment of the balance shaft cover, I'd managed to move the bearing so the pin wasn't sitting in its groove. Looking at the Stan Stevens pages now noticed I don't have the oil feed 'thing' fitted. Looking at some rebuilds, neither do a lot of other people :)

So... is it vital, or can I carry on without it??? I found a lot of debris inside the balance shaft that I cleaned out so this should help oil flow/travel to the other bearing.

Any one have a spare they wish to sell?
jarno
Oil Injector

Re: balance shaft

Post by jarno »

Do you mean the black plastic thingy.
Kr1s C1 zeus blue
Kr1s c2 black green
ZXR400 SP
ZXR250A
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Yes thats the part, wasn't sure what it was made of, is it important?

It looks like it feeds the bearing through the balance shaft, but doesn't the whole shaft, sit in a pool of oil anyway?
jarno
Oil Injector

Post by jarno »

It is feeding the oil into the shaft but if you are rebuilding it i would buy it (still available by kwak) and put it in as it wil cost no more than a few quid.
Kr1s C1 zeus blue
Kr1s c2 black green
ZXR400 SP
ZXR250A
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Looks like it's another NLA part, all the UK sites have none available, anyone got a close up pic, not sure if it sits inside the balance shaft, or just takes oil into the chamber.

Does it spin with the shaft? or just sit there like a funnel. (my guess)