PWK ENGINE IDLE

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

PWK ENGINE IDLE

Post by NOSHER »

hey guys--had a starting problem some months ago and decided as the bike had not seen a road for 20 years that i would rebuild the carbs which i have done with kits bought on ebay with the exception of the pilots which were not marked for size so i bought genuine items.Rebuilt the carbs and adjusted the usual cables/ carb tops/idle screws etc and set the mixture screws to 1 turn out---engine started after 3 prods but i noticed that the l/h pipe was blowing a lot of blue smoke and the r/h was almost clear(i`m running Putoline smokeless oil)--warmed engine up and adjusted tickover with idle screws--sat there nicely at 1000rpm.
out on the road there was a "dead" spot on the throttle when pulling away like there was no fuel(bit like a race fourstroke not being "on the cam" so with the clutch slipped and 3/4 throttle it took off like a rocket right up through the box but would not cruise low speed/ low throttle/ without stoppng.
SORRY FOR THE LONG DRAWN OUT POST BUT THERE IS A REASON----in the manual it stated the clip in the slide needle should be in position 4(Is 4 at the top or the bottom groove?)my carbs had the clip in the middle of the 5 needle grooves and my spare set of carbs when checked were in the same position.
QUESTION 1.where should the needle clip be ?
QUESTION 2.would the left pipe smoke be due to a crank seal"drying out"after sitting in an engine not run for 20 years
YOU GET MORE POKES WITH TWOSTROKES !!

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Re: PWK ENGINE IDLE

Post by JanBros »

clip on the needle needs to be in the position were your engine runs best. SM is just a guideline/base to work from, it is not the holy grail.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

THANKS MATE I AM PRESUMING THAT THE LOWER THE CLIP THE RICHER THE MIX?

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

It seems KR1S carbs run very weak on standard settings, especially low RPM. Set the needle clip middle to start with, pilot air screw 1/4 turn out if running standard pilots. Check your fuel height as the manual says, using a pipe from the drain outlet, don't just rely on setting the float height.

The pipe that is smoking more is possibly mis-firing or not firing as often as the other side, the oil builds up between firing and the when it does ignite it smokes, hence the excess out of 1 side. There's clearly other reasons (such as crank seals) but don't immediately assume the worst, I've had plenty of 2 strokes over the years that have done exactly what you describe and it's just been a plug/mixture/coil/carb/stator/CDI/plug cap problem!
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

THANKS FOR THE REPLY BOZ--I`LL REDO THE SETTINGS TOMORROW--PAIN IN THE ARSE KEEP TAKING THE TANK AND AIRBOX OF THOUGH--OH AND ITS A KR1 BUT I THINK ALL THE SIZES OF JETS ETC ARE THE SAME FOR ADJUSTMENTS ETC
I`VE CHECKED OUT ALL THE LECCY BITS(NEW PLUGS/ COIL/ LEADS/ AND CAPS/ CDI)SO GUESS ITS DOWN TO A LOT OF ADJUST -TEST RIDE-ADJUST-TESTRIDE .
WISH ME LUCK
COL

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Yep 1 and 1S very similar and just as finicky to set up. Lower you put the clip on the needle the richer the mixture but I've found middle or 2nd from the top works best. Pilot air screw, I've heard some run it screwed in and still get a decent tickover! I put #45 pilot jets in mine and it runs a lot nicer low end and I can run the pilot screws 1-1/4 out but every engine is different so just fiddle around.
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

THANKS BOZ--BEEN "FIDDLING "TODAY AND LEFT THE NEEDLES IN MIDDLE SLOT-SYNCED THE CARBTOP CABLE ADJUSTERS TO PERFECT-- INCREASED THE THROTTLE GRIP ADJUSTER PLAY JUST TO BE SURE-- REMOVED THE CARBS AND SET THE MIXTURE SCREWS TO 1/4 TURN OUT (RUNNING STANDARD PILOT JETS (NEW) )---WHY DID K PUT THE MIXTURE SCREW ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE LH CARB TO MAKE IT INACCESIBLE WITHOUT REMOVING IT TO ADJUST THE MIXTURE???
AND SPENT REST OF THE AFTERNOON MAKING UP A REMOTE FUEL SUPPLY--FED UP WITH TANK OFF-- AIRBOX OFF--TANK ON-- TEST --TANK OFF-- AIR BOX OFF--ADJUST ETC ETC.
MOE TESTING TOMORROW.
COL

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

If you get a pair of these it makes life easier!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAB-PRODUCTS- ... 3641.l6368

Pricey just to fiddle with the mixture but I got a pair and they've helped when I've been messing around setting up. None of these types of bikes run very cleanly at low rpm, they don't wake up until they're over 4k really.
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

hi boz yes i can see the benefit in a pair of these if you are using them to adjust the height of the throttle slides but they would not help if you were adjusting the "static mixture screw setting"( please whoever you were last year don`t post a reply again on the old argument of "no you`re talking about a pilot jet not a mixture screw PULEEEEEESE" ) as you still have to remove the l/h carb to reach the screw to adjust the mixture .
As i have a spare set of complete carbs i have replaced the left hand screw with the "flexidrive" cable adjuster normally fitted to the r/h carb only-so job done more easily on adjusting the throttle slides

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Ah you've missed what they are Nosh, these are Pilot air screws but with a large knurled head that stick out of the carbs. I've got them on mine. You can adjust them from above with fingertips of long nose pliers.
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

"AAAH GRASSHOPPER--YOU KNOW KUNG FOO?--YES MASTER--GOOD THEN YOU FIND THE AHOLE THAT MADE THESE CONTACT LENSES AND YOU KILL HIM!!!!!" IF YOU`VE NEVER SEEN THE KUNG FOO TV SERIES (OLD BUT STILL RERUN
THEN THAT JOKE WAS WASTED ON YOU--SORRY IF IT WAS.

OK BOZ NOW I SEE--ALL THIS CARB CONFUSION COULD HAVE BEEN SETTLED YEARS AGO WHEN SUDDENLY FROM THE CARBS INCEPTION ALL THOSE YEARS AGO WHEN THAT SCREW WAS REFERRED TO AS A "MIXTURE SCREW" BY ALL THE BIKE MANUFACTURERS IN THE WORLD MODERN BIKE RIDERS BEGAN CALLING IT A "PILOT SCREW" THATS WHY OLD BIKERS LIKE ME HAVE BEEN STEERED IN THE WRONG DIRECTION AND ARGUED WITH BY "NOOBS" ABOUT IT BUT ONLY SINCE I`VE BEEN ON THIS SITE.
YOU`RE NOT INCLUDED IN THAT LAST SENTENCE BY THE WAY!!!
NOW I CAN SEE THE USEFULLNESS OF THE ITEM YOU ARE REFERRING TO--PRETTY SMART THINKING BY SOMEONE
(MUST HAVE BEEN A KR OWNER EH? )I PRESUME IT MUST BE A LOT LONGER THEN THE ORIGINAL TO CLEAR THE CARB BODY BUT NOT TOUCH THE FRAME, BUT SURELY IT WOULD HAVE BEEN EVEN BETTER TO HAVE FLATS ON THE END TO INDICATE MORE ACCURATELY THE INCREMENTS THAT WERE BEING MADE INSTEAD OF SERATIONS? AH WELL JUST ANOTHER THOUGHT!!!!
BOZ THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP ON THAT --THINK I MAY JUST BUY A PAIR INSTEAD OF SPINNING SOME UP OUT OF HEX BRASS BAR ON MY LATHE--AT THAT PRICE ITS NOT WORTH THE EFFORT!!!

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

could you leave your caps-lock button sleeping in the future ? it is very annoying and feels like shouting. and we don't need shouting ;-)
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

not again someone complaining about caps-------i use them because i am 73 years old and my sight is not what it used to be--ok?????????????????

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

The ones I got are slightly different but I couldn't find the advert anymore, I had to cut little grooves in the edges so you can see from above as you adjust them how far you've gone.. You're right it's definitely something they could do but I was so glad to find some I wasn't complaining!
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

hey boz--there`s lots on ebay mostly coloured anodised with milled semi circles every 90 degrees and numbered they look easy to us--BUT---not one of the suppliers makes them for pwk--mostly Mikuni so no luck there looks like i might have to a little judicious segmenting with the mini engraver just to make them easier on my poor old eyes!!!!!

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30