PWK ENGINE IDLE

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Re: PWK ENGINE IDLE

Post by NOSHER »

here again boz just found the same as the DAB product you bought, on ebay except the logo on the knob say ( "inch perfect")--same price.
YOU GET MORE POKES WITH TWOSTROKES !!

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

If there is a god up there he`s not smiling on me this year!!--got all set up to adjust carb mixture and idle speed(see previous posts) filled the remote fuel tank(plastic minimoto tank)and it pissed petrol out of the moulding joint!!!!!!!!!-made another tank--filled--no leak-great.BUT THEN------------------------------------------------------------------
fitted battery turned on the ignition----nothing----no dash lights---no kips motor movement no lights at all- electrics all dead.---battery has 13volts checked the fuse box all fuses good and continuity from one side to the other-uncoupled all the loom connectors and reconnected--still nothing at all.
bike was starting and running before i removed the battery and tray to get to the carbs so nothing else electrical touched!!!
HELP ANYONE???
COL

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

time to dish up the wiring diagram and you multi-meter.

check good earth between -battery and groun on frame, and then follow the + from battery to ignition switch etc.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

update on last post---i now have changed cdi unit/fuse box/ignition coil and leads/ rectifier.

Still no warning lights but kips servo motor does its thing--if i turn on the headlight it comes on and the rear lights also but they are so bright i think its working the stop light filaments in them--no other lights or indicators.
Took a chance kicked the engine over AND IT RAN !!!!--engine ran nicely on two and i set about warming it up to set mixture and idle---engine just got nice and warm and then the left hand pipe stopped smoking then stopped firing and the engine ran on 1 cylinder, there was plenty of fuel being delivered as the clear feed pipes were full.still no lights on dash etc.-----kicked it over half a dozen times but not a pop.
i`ve changed everything else could it be faulty generator windings ?(i put extra earth strap on system last year)
Got a couple of multi testers but when it comes to it the leccy bits leave me a little lacking apart from the basics.

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Good luck, I'm in the same position as you, but haven't had mine running yet, got a similar thread going as well if you fancy a read , got a few days-off coming so will have a bit more time to get stuck in. Sure mine is an electrical problem as well.
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

further update guys--put the original ignition coil back on as when last started when warming it decided not to fire on that good old l/h cylinder--still only ran on one cylinder until i rerouted the ht lead up above the sparkplug--runs on two right away ,so bit of an issue with ht lead connection???
still no warning lights or stops or indicators-- checked continuity as far as i can with multi don`t seem a reason for no go--got good earth connections and one extra so at the moment am at a loss.decided to concentrate on setting the idle and mixture running and was just after about an hour got it about right when it started "hunting" and getting a little flat on opening the throttle--THEN--I noticed fuel dripping off the expansion chambers so cut the engine and on inspection found the r/h(rebuilt)carb was leaking fuel out of the over flow--so stuck float or worn float needle?--took carb apart and retired for the day.I am expecting new floats and throttle slides in the post any day so this job is on the back burner until then.
i`ll be back on fault finding the electrics tomorrow and want to check out the generator windings so
IS ANYONE AWAKE OUT THERE TO TELL ME IF THE ROTOR BOLT IS A STANDARD RIGHT HAND THREAD BEFORE I BUST IT OFF IN THE CRANK WITH MY RATTLE GUN??? and yes Jan bros i am shouting now cos its important i get a quick answer ok?--watch this space i could be looking for a box of Swan Vestas !!!!!!

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Yep undo the bolt as normal, assume you have the correct puller too?? Common Yam type M27 LH thread etc
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

Wow thanks fella there is someone awake out there outside of the school holidays !!
ok gonna get it removed right now and i have jus tfound that my h***a CG125 puller is the same thread and left hand.
any luck with your probs???

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

lot's of times resistance-measurements of stator are ok when not running.
but the stator behaves differently (vibrations, getting hot) twhen running.
only way to realy check the stator is by swapping it with a known good one.

but apparently that wasn't your problem ;-)
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

Don`t knowJjan--It may have been(before I removed the flooding r/h carb)running on both cylinders but I still have the issues with no dash lights/ stops/ indicators/ etc. So as I have another set of gen coils I will fit THEM anyway even if just to remove them from the equation and see what happens.

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

I had a similar problem with lights etc. - i would check the main fuse.
Smokings Good For You
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

hi gary--when you say main fuse you mean the fuse box with 3 fuses??
i have tested the fuse box for continuity and just to be sure have tested and fitted a replacement but still no joy.
at least the little bugger is starting first prod and running on both cylinders now and if i can only get it to idle properly i`ll be a happy man--ah well perseverance is the key.

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

getting there, I had a dodgy connection on my pick-up coil, and the locking tab had broken on the socket, it lost all the dash lights when it was unplugged so might be worth a quick look?? don't know the reason why, also think it goes through the neutral switch?
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

from what i can see it goes to the cdi unit---- the neutral switch wire(pale green)is just wrapped up with it to ascend into the murky depths of the engine bay and loom.jjust spent another4 hours removing the fairings(and finding somewhere to put them so you dont trip over them)to attempt a checkout of the wiring--pulled apart every connector sprayed them with electrical cleaner put back--nothing on dash.
if i put on the lighting switch with ignition on i get the headlamp and i get tail lights but with the stop lights illuminated!!!
i prayed to god that when i got to access all the wiring, staring me in the face was a big broken wire!!FAT CHANCE. Engine still starts first prod and runs without issues.
haven`t removed the generator windings as i am not 100% convinced that faulty windings could be the cause of" instant no lights" plus bending over the bike for hours has started my sciatica off again and it could be ages until i can move again without pain so--it may give me the time to try to understand the wiring diagram(no at all my forte--gimme a set of spanners and i`ll fix anything but leccy-- can`t get my head round it)
Could even now end up on ebay with loft full(40 items forks expanders tank fairings speedos carbs etc etc)of spares if i got even more frustrated and pissed of with it.
watch this space ---later.

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

plus bending over the bike for hours has started my sciatica off again and it could be ages until i can move again without pain
:lol: - know where you are coming from

Good luck
Smokings Good For You