Kr1s strip down

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
silverhawk
Light Smoker

Kr1s strip down

Post by silverhawk »

Hi all. Just some advice needed. Going to strip down the bike soon. Frame needs painting and engine needs redone. Where should i start stripping first. Any help or advice appreciated.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Kr1s strip down

Post by JanBros »

second time you ask this weird question ?

what do you expect we answer ? My normal answer to questions like this is :

If you can't figure that out for yourself, don't do it and pay someone else to do the job

I always start with the things I can see and end with the things I couldn't see when I started the work.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

If the frame is to be painted, I imagine you will want to remove everything from it first. You could leave some of the removable sub-assemblies intact (e.g. front suspension and rear suspension, perhaps leaving brakes attached), but pretty much everything else will have to be taken off individually. If you are apprehensive about doing this (i.e. that you may forget how to reassemble), take photographs of every part in position before removing it! If you may forget which parts fit where, label them. The exploded diagrams in parts catalogues are very useful for this purpose, but are not always 100% clear.

While there are many ways to strip a bike down, I usually remove parts in approximately the following order: Bodywork, exhausts, cables, electrics, engine, brakes, small fixtures & fittings, rear suspension, front suspension. The correct order for you will depend on what tools/stands/workspace/experience you have.

While the bike is apart, you may like to check things like suspension pivot points (repair, replace, regrease as required) and do any other inspection or reconditioning which may be needed (which may be inconvenient if the bike is in one piece).

I'm not sure if this is the kind of advice you wanted - I hope it works out for you whichever way you go!

Regards,
James
silverhawk
Light Smoker

Post by silverhawk »

James you are a superstar!!!!
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

Another underrated technique is to video the electrical cable runs. Eg left or right hand side of frame, where joints / sub looms come in. If you video it with a phone you can add a voice over explanation.

Good luck

Steve
silverhawk
Light Smoker

Post by silverhawk »

Thanks very much Steve!!!!