ENGINE DISMANTLING HELP AND INFO PLEASE.

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

ENGINE DISMANTLING HELP AND INFO PLEASE.

Post by NOSHER »

Hey Guys
Still not sorted the problem i had in 2019 with oil spewing out the cans yes i know by now it should have been sorted but with covid and changing my mind as to the Company i wanted to dismantle engine rebuild the crank and assemble again(couple looked ok until you get to the third page of feedback comments and you find after glowing feedback things like "sent my engine to them and they overbored the cyl and fitted wrong size piston ruined my engine and wont compensate--stear clear" so i have a garage full of equipment and tools so i`ve decided to bite the bullet --dismantle it and send the crank to be rebuilt and assemble it myself(brave or foolhardy??)
ok i have the service manual but it doesn`t EXACTLY SHOW YOU WHATS HOLDING EVERYTHING TOGETHER AND WHERE THEY ARE DOES IT?? So here`s where the help part from you guys comes in___i`ve removed all of the r/h casing/ clutch/ oil pump/etc and left the kickstart mechanism in place--do i have to remove this to remove the gear cluster?
Now on the left side i removed the allen bolts around the gearbox casing and thought i could "tapout" the gearbox cluster but no movement---i then removed the gear selector small casing and i see two hex head bolts behind the mechanism--is this whats stopping the gearbox from drawing out and if i remove the selector mechanism does it stay in one piece as there`s no instructions in the manual on dismantling and assembling.

ALSO--SORRY ITS SUCH A LONG MESSAGE----IS THE MAGNETO BOLT LH OR RH--I REMOVED IT PROBABLY 3 YEARS AGO AND MY 78 YEAR OLD BRAIN CANT REMEMBER--I SHOULD HAVE WRITTEN IT DOWN SOMEWHERE.
Hope you can assist had the bike 22 years and still not ridden and screwed the nuts off it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
COL
YOU GET MORE POKES WITH TWOSTROKES !!

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Re: ENGINE DISMANTLING HELP AND INFO PLEASE.

Post by JanBros »

complete clutch must be removed before you can take out the gearbox.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

Hi jan thanks for the reply— yes I have removed the clutch assy and all on the right hand side apart from the kickstart gear and spring as didn’t know if this could stay and not stop removal of gearbox.
Col

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
krm
Light Smoker

Post by krm »

Hi,
Remove the idle gear (if you haven't already) it's retained by a circlip.
Both hex bolts under the small l/h case need to be removed, and if it's a Kr1s you need to remove the lower (number 3 philips) screw from the shift drum cam spring holder (small black bracket) then the whole cluster should can come out, if it's a Kr1 you don't need to remove the Philips screw..
Magneto/flywheel bolt is right hand thread, so anti clockwise to loosen.... make sure you use the correct tool, as an ordinary bearing puller will damage the flywheel, a few quid off eBay if you haven't got one (m24/m27 flywheel tool)
All this information is in the manual :) you might need the 1s supplement?
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

Hey fella thanks for the reply got one from jan bros to remove the clutch assy but I put in my message that all the rh stuff was removed.The Kr1 Service Manual is not really informative as far as strip down with a couple of photos but no real procedure as to exactly what to remove and where it is so I chucked that back on the shelf went down the ws this morning and got it all down to Removing the pistons splitting the cases and getting that offending crank out for a look at the source of the issue.Sometimes if you have worked on your bikes for a lot of years your engineering instincts serve you well as in this case—-oh by the way can I leave the balance shaft in situ or not.
Cheers
Col

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
martin
Premix Junkie

Post by martin »

I tried to help you a while back.
If you still need help.
Happy to message you my phone number.
current bikes
fully restored green/white kr1 b2