Resonator chamber

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
silverhawk
Light Smoker

Resonator chamber

Post by silverhawk »

Hi everyone.Took my resonator covers off today as they had oil leaking out of them.Any reason that there is black goo in them? Kr1s also won't rev past 7500 rpm.
Any ideas would be appreciated!
krm
Light Smoker

Re: Resonator chamber

Post by krm »

Normal to have black oil inside them, especially if it won't rev past 7500rpm, as thrashing them clears out excess oil which builds up. Everytime you thrash them for the 1st time that day they usually smoke a lot/throw out excess oil, ( depending on warm up procedure, if any :) ) then usually smoke free for the rest of the day.
Could be cdi unit, as that's when a change happens for ignition timing (7500 rpm) could also be power valves not in the correct position, (closing when they should be opening)

Try checking cdi with the specs within the service manual, I think the capacitors lifespan for these units is coming to an end unfortunately, as many people are having issues with them, and capacitor lifespan is around 25 years. Also check the stator is within specs.

Best way to check valves are in the correct position, is turn ignition on, watch or feel the valves fully open, then switch off the ignition before it starts closing the valves. On the top of each valve under the lever (if they're original) they should have a flat face/not round ( which should be visible if you have a good torch, from the inspection panels in the fairing which should face towards the front of the bike.... if it's not facing forward then adjust it so it is. If there's no flat face then remove the exhausts and check with a torch that all 4 valves are in the open position (you should see the holes in the valves facing towards the exhaust exit if they are right.

Hopefully its the latter which is causing your issue, there's nothing in the manual that shows how to set them up so many get it wrong, but most likely stator or cdi unit.
krm
Light Smoker

Post by krm »

If you're stumped and close to Nottinghamshire bring it to me :) I'd love a tinker with another one :)
silverhawk
Light Smoker

Post by silverhawk »

Very kind of you much appreciate your post!!!! Unfortunately I'm in Northern Ireland.will try the above as mentioned.once again your post is gold.thanks again!!!! Could it be coked up exhausts possibly too?
krm
Light Smoker

Post by krm »

No worries, I doubt it, but there's probably quite a ot of oil in there, definitely worth cleaning out though, I got around 500ml can of carbon out of my old one, sounded completely different too when clean, it made the familiar 2 stroke "ting"

Zeeltronic do a direct replacement cdi for the kr1s.

Good luck.
silverhawk
Light Smoker

Post by silverhawk »

Cheers for that! I put a drop of seafoam through the tank,that's when the oil started spitting almost 2 meters out the left end can lol.Will look into the CDI etc.Getting a new battery tomorrow as the old one is done,not sure if this could cause the power valves from opening.All your advice will be looked into.Great help.cheers!
krm
Light Smoker

Post by krm »

It could be a bad battery, they don't like running with one and are known to cause cdi issues.
silverhawk
Light Smoker

Post by silverhawk »

Brilliant thanks again!!
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

krm wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:58 pm It could be a bad battery, they don't like running with one and are known to cause cdi issues.
have run mine for years and years with a bad battery as it's not needed for anything, and had no problem's.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !