Crankshaft to fix

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
kr1stian

Crankshaft to fix

Post by kr1stian »

I am building an new engine to my KR-1 and I bought KR-1S engine to replacing the original low km motor. I got bought one from ebay in decent condition. I necessarely needed to check it and rebuild with some new parts.
Now I have crankshaft in a shop and my mechanic called today to tell about the problem. The generator side big end crank pin had some corrosion marks from the pin bearing and he didn't suggest to use the old part. Maybe cooling fluits had flowed to the crankcase and stayed there for a while. He is now staying and waiting for my call for how we continue. :D
I have wondering how to solve this problem from a point of view that there is no spare parts to get here from Finland. There were only 5 KR-1 's imported at the time and there is no reason to believe that there are more than two existing anymore exept one odd KR-1S lately arised...
Workshop manual says that in the case of major damage there is no other way but change the whole crankshaft with the balancer as well. How strict is that? Is someone having experience with changing only that half of the flywheel (whith the pin)? How badly that would affect the balance cause I think that is only problem in whole case?
I would be greatly thankful if someone would have solution to my problem - having good usefull and matched KR-1S (maybe KR-1 fit as well I don't know really) crankchaft and balancer for sale some decent price or then real experience how to do it with changing only that flywheel half. Yess, in this case I am lacking that part as well!
Make offers in pm or sell this on Ebay.
There are every now and then some interesting parts sold on eBay but sellers would not ship in Finland and I wonder why cause I haven't face any problem in shipping or payment either.
Sooner I get my crankshaft properly fixed I assume that some of you would be interested to hear more about my "eternal" engine project that is im afraid coming to it's end...[-o<

Cheers, kr1stian
Kickstart your heart.
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

replacement crank pins

Post by KR-1R »

viewtopic.php?t=2223

http://www.bdkraceeng.co.uk/KR1-S.html

not really what you want but here is BDK's centre pin...

On the KR, the big end pins are integral to the web half...The pin is part of the crank throw
viewtopic.php?t=4235
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Hi Kr1stian,
It's quite common for people to use parts form 2 (or even 3) crankshafts to make one good one.
And to answer your other question, yes, KR1 and KR1S cranks are the same. If you post an ad in the parts wanted section someone should be able to help you out.
Good luck.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

I'm sure I have the part you need on my atic, but I just broke my foot yesterday and won't be able to crawl up there for at least 3 weeks :(
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
kr1stian

Post by kr1stian »

I have BDK's centre pin, seals, bearings and top end rod kit bought from BDK as well waiting for assembly.
I too assume that there are not great difference of using web/crank half (part next left connected to centre pin) thinking that it is about 1/4 of the weight of all four parts together. Casting process think make the most imperfection to surface and to thickneses that affect then for the webs weight, instead of machining. Maybe original and spare part could be checked and balanced with some machine...
Thanks for comments. Any other opinions /experience about this issue? How that change is affected for running and is there any noticeable vibration etc?
I'll stay tuned for spare part(s).

Cheers

kr1stian
Kickstart your heart.
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

If you send both of your cranks to BDK they should be able to make one good one from the parts and fit all new bearings and seals at the same time.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
Premix Junkie

Post by 375 »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KAWASAKI-KR1S-CRA ... 3f0a5dabd4

Any good if so and you win you could get them to post to me and i will send it on to you, if that helps.

kr1stian

Post by kr1stian »

BDK plated my cylinders about two monts ago and they made good work, thanks for that by the way, but my budget is not enough for hours of labouring in that company. My crank is already under work in finnish company. I think if I could find good spare crank I could use that or mix that with one I have. Member 375 that was good idea, but I got this link too late. Or actually I asked the seller about shipping earlier this week and said no for international shipping. I indeed need decoy in UK to buy parts from eBay 8). Would you offer your help as you described?
Still I need the crankshaft or half, so all ideas will be wellcome. I can jump to wanted section if that finds more readers...

Cheers

kr1stian
Kickstart your heart.
Premix Junkie

Post by 375 »

Kr1stian

If you get stuck let me know, would be good to get you back on the road :)
kr1stian

Post by kr1stian »

Could some one tell if the both crank webs (one that have pin integrated to flywheel) are similar and interchangeable? I haven't split the crankshaft myself so I don't know.

Cheers

kr1stian
Kickstart your heart.