To remove oil pump or not?

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
James P
Oil Injector

To remove oil pump or not?

Post by James P »

I am seriously considering (when I finally take delivery of my KR1) removing the oil pump and using premix instead. I have a few concerns about delivery of oil to the engine, as it is based on throttle position and engine speed, rather than fuel flow, although I also suspect the Kawasaki engineers knew what they were doing.
Of more concern is the reliability of the oil pump and delivery system. Now that the parts are 20+ years old, some vital component is surely more likely to underperform or fail entirely and it may not be obvious until the engine seizes or is at least damaged beyond repair!

Has anyone got any wisdom to offer on the reliability or otherwise of the two-stroke oil pump? Opinions also welcome... :lol:

Thanks & regards,
James
dave32
Heavy Smoker

Post by dave32 »

The pump is generally very reliable as a unit and works fine on the road,the only problems ive come across
Cable end snaps,result is a seized motor or worse.
Air leak,again engine damage is the result.
personally i went to premix for all my bikes years ago,its one less thing to worry about IMO.
Also on a plus side nowadays (in the UK) is the additives in the fuel cause quite alot of problems to seals in the fuel system (they go brittle),this is more of a problem whenever the bike is not used for a few weeks along with leaving a solidified mess in jets etc.
This doesnt happen with premix.
if you were using the bike a as everyday transport or covering alot of miles then in thoery its less hassle with the pump,but if your like most of us and just use it for a bit of fun then premix isnt a hassle.
oh and if you junk the oil bottle you can remove the airbox in under a minute easy,handy if you like messing with your jetting. :D
HTH
Dave 8)
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

dave32 wrote:...oh and if you junk the oil bottle you can remove the airbox in under a minute easy,handy if you like messing with your jetting. :D
HTH
Dave 8)
Thanks for the advice Dave - that alone would seem to be a good enough reason for converting to premix!

Since my other bikes all use premix, it would be no extra hassle. As I'll be using CHT & EGT gauges, the EGT should indicate whether any carb adjustments are required. It would probably be more of a hassle to leave the pump on, because I'd be paranoid and want to check the pump every five minutes :( !

Regards,
James
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

if you simply cut off the thing on the airbox where the battery-overflow goes through, airbox is removed as simply as there wouldn't be an oiltank :wink:

only if it's a trackbike, I would run on premix. On over 15 years of KR-ing, never had a pump failure. only once the plastic gear that drives the pump broke.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !