K&N air filter as direct replacement??

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
James P
Oil Injector

K&N air filter as direct replacement??

Post by James P »

Does anyone know if there is a K&N air filter element available as a direct replacement for the standard item (i.e. retaining the standard air box)??

I have checked the K&N web-site, where the KR1S is shown in the model listing. However, when selecting it, it states that no matching products are available :? !

I am aware that K&N once made filter elements for a large range of bikes, but that many of the older ones are now discontinued. If this is true in the case of the KR1/1S, can anyone advise of any suppliers which may still have new old stock?

Thanks & regards,
James
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Don't get rid of the airbox
ozzy1
Smoker

Post by ozzy1 »

James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

Luders wrote:Don't get rid of the airbox
No - I'm not planning to get rid of the air box!

If the standard foam filter element can be replaced by a K&N element made especially to fit the air box (they are available for many bikes and perhaps were once made for the KR1/1S), I will do it.
Due to the pleated construction, K&N and similarly-constructed filters offer a much larger filter area than foam filters of similar shape/size. In theory, this means plenty of air flow without reduction in filtering ability. It seems that the better-flowing foam elements use a less dense construction, thus compromising filtering ability.
However, despite the advantages mentioned in the foregoing, any filter which flows more freely than the standard one will likely require careful attention to the jetting.

Regards,
James