sky ground sky ground, shiny plastic and molten metal

Tell us where to meet you!
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

just stripped down the engine this morning and found a big end failure on the right hand cylinder.
As it was the road engine (spare) which had done about 24k, I'm not really suprised it let go.
The R/H piston is lunched, but at least the bores look Ok to use again.

As far as the other (40hp) engine is concerned, BDK said that they would 'look at it' and decide from there.
Think I might drive up to Norwich next weekend with the 40hp engine and the crank that just failed.

Here's the damage;
R/H Big end;
R/H Piston;
R/H Cyl
L/H Piston;
L/H Cyl;
Image.....how did that one get in there :?:
buzinc
Heavy Smoker

Post by buzinc »

Ouch! Looks like one of the thrust washers has been milled away by the rod! Any port damage? Big end looks like it was getting rather warm!

Nice bit of silverware to add to your collection.

buz
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

ports look good. Also have a standard set of KR1 cylinders (and head), and standard set of KR1S cylinders (one needs welding/plating) and head (needs work). One crank with leaking (inner) seals and another good for spares and two sets of cases - so in theory, I should be able to make at least one good engine out of that lot!
kwackman12
Oil Injector

Post by kwackman12 »

JanBros wrote:
375 wrote:Gary had to swap engines, bloody 4 strokes :)
which can't be done in 1 hour :mrgreen:
1hour 15min's old engine out new engine in & running :mrgreen:
Had a bit of practise this year! but to be honest iv'e neve had a fully refreshed engine in two years of racing & it does rev to 15500.
Trish rode well the weekend, don't think I could get a kr to go that fast around brands, but next year who knows I might be able to see if I can if it all goes to plan.
Here's a clip of the start where it all went wrong I clipped the guy & span him around then another plowed into him, don't mind posting this as everybody concerned walked away! https://www.dropbox.com/s/j8l8uzw7z3psw ... 5%2054.mov
As you can see we normaly have massive grids in the Bemsee 400 hopefully we will see a few more of you out there next year?
KR1 race bike
ZXR 400 Race Bike
Aprilia RS250
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

kwackman12 wrote:
JanBros wrote:
375 wrote:Gary had to swap engines, bloody 4 strokes :)
Here's a clip of the start where it all went wrong I clipped the guy & span him around then another plowed into him, don't mind posting this as everybody concerned walked away! https://www.dropbox.com/s/j8l8uzw7z3psw ... 5%2054.mov
As you can see we normaly have massive grids in the Bemsee 400 hopefully we will see a few more of you out there next year?
...that was nasty, and when the last of the grid is like 75m behind they are going real fast by the time they reach the front and acknowledge a problem

if the rider (on track left) hadnt recovered his wheelstand launch I would say another 5 riders would have come down as a group
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Nice to hear everyone was okay Gary, I didn't see the crash from where I was watching, just left wondering what on earth had happened.

You should race a KR again in a more suitable series.