Classic Bike Trackday at Mallory in April 12th

Tell us where to meet you!
salty
Heavy Smoker

Post by salty »

My first outing at Mallory on Friday. Removed the Nikons because they have been getting a bit loud and fitted standard pipes with Lomas end cans noise test was at 7000 rpm so there is no way the Nikons would have passed but only 99db with the standard pipes. Rain in the morning track got steadily wetter until the 3rd session just before lunch when it was pissing down I got steadily faster but on the 4th lap got the hairpin chicane and devils elbow just right flew down the straight arrived at the end of the straight much faster than normal panicked locked the front, by the time I had released it I was grass tracking and getting fixated on the tyre wall tried to turn but dropped it on the left hand side. Only damage broken rear set pivot and a bent clutch lever.

Fixed everything over the lunch break - the sun came out the track dried and it was all worth while - another 3 sessions in the afternoon, I was still the slowest thing on the track but that was me not the KR which was pulling like a train. I had been faster than the 65 year old on a 1972 Benelli 250 but he forgot to turn the fuel on and spent the session by the side of the track.

Its annoying getting lapped by a h***a 125 but it was a classic gp bike and the guy could ride it.

To my shame I got passed on Gerrards by a guy on an M reg Triumph Trophy 900 with a top box and a tank bag - he was sliding the rear all the way round - then rode it home (bastard)

I was over geared last time out at Cadwell and dropped to 13/44 (17'' rear) and it was perfect for me at Mallory.

Top day - well worth going no lasting damage from the crash other than several kilos of clay and grass in every orifice of me and the bike.

Looking for the next trackday - might wait until the height of our so called summer

Salty
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Track day at Cadwell on the first May bank holiday weekend Salty, get your arse out there :)
dave32
Heavy Smoker

Post by dave32 »

ahh it WAS BLOODY slippery in the morning! :shock:
did you have the Modded KR (zxr forks/different swinger)?
I was on the Red/orange h***a RS125,had a massive moment going through the esses thought here we go,then it came back,was no warning,thats the thing with a peaky/powerful ultra light weight bike,it makes my KR feel docile/bulbous and user friendly!lol :lol:
mY mate was on the malboro rd 500/hybrid,was wearing a set of Garry Mccoys old Red bull leathers,he had a moment or 2!
If you have a face book account,look up Paul soulby,he was taking pics for the day,there's some good'uns there.
did you get back out?
WAs a sew dry sessions in the afternoon.
WE left plymouth at 2.30AM got there at 6,trouble was had been up til midnight rebuilding my brothers TZ 250 engine!mental but worth it IMO.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Just had a look on facebook and saw two modded KR's out that day.

Salty's is the one with the green and black fairing and traditional yellow number board with a VJ22 swinger.

The other one out there had an all black fairing and green tail piece, but what looks like an under braced swingarm.

Any ideas who that was?
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

I had to have a closer inspection and it looks like it's a fake bit of bracing.

salty
Heavy Smoker

Post by salty »

Yes that was me - I saw you on the RS125 after lunch when I got back out but I couldn't catch you.

The other guy with a KR had 2 bikes he was riding a h***a 400 4 stroke in the morning - a Geordie lad with a mate on a blue and white RD350 - both much faster than me trying to run each other off the track most of the day.

Looking for another trackday this summer - can't do Cadwell in May but might go later in the year.

Going on a track makes you realise how much you have to learn - I ride 300 miles a week and have been riding for 30 years but still feel like a beginner on the track - still its fun learning and I can only get better

Salty
salty
Heavy Smoker

Post by salty »

You mates pictures are great - I didn't even get my camera out.

If he is really good at photo-shop can you ask him to make me look faster next time?

Salty
dave32
Heavy Smoker

Post by dave32 »

Yep its a different thing completely than riding on the road,all of a sudden there's an empty strip of tarmac and all your concentration is on riding it as fast as feels safe.
On the road there are so many things to concentrate on that riding the bike to its limit is not even part of it.
You did well though,wet and greasy track,a powerful 2 stroke and only 1 excursion into the gravel,it really is a case of confidence and experience on the track,you did the right thing,so many DONT,its like IM ROSSI!,bANG,crash,SHIT what happened?!!!
The CBT at cadwell later in the year looks good,ive never been but its gotta be on the "to do " list of tracks.
Yep those 2 guys (powervalve and KR) were riding without much regard for anything in 1 session,it really looked like a last lap of a race!
I had 1 idiot dive underneath me just as i was tipping into the hairpin,made me sit up,no need for it,you catch someone up,overtake where its safe then they go all kamikaze to get back by,thing is that wound me up was it wasnt a novice but an experienced old racer guy on an MT125!
:shock: