Carb body

Need some bits ask here
kezsam
Light Smoker

Carb body

Post by kezsam » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:30 pm

Hi Guys some of you may remember my bike as you helped me out with carbs, well it is well and truly up and running and has been for some time and being well abused.

Cant add a picture but its a modified Kawasaki S3a

Has anyone got a dead carb body that they would care to sell I need to make a leak down tester as I destroyed two pistons at Mallory park on Saturday

Many thanks

Kerry

Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Re: Carb body

Post by Binetta Steve » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:47 pm

I have been watching Orvilles piston eating debut on the KH forum! Your determination is great.
Post some pictures on here sometime, peeps like to see some engine carnage following true racing conditions

Welcome to the water cooled world of Big K, Im sure someone will be along hopefully with some old bits.

JanBros
Premix Junkie

Post by JanBros » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:47 pm

why would you need a carb body for that ?
You know it's cold outside when you trip over dog shit instead of standing in it.

kezsam
Light Smoker

Post by kezsam » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:10 pm

JanBros wrote:why would you need a carb body for that ?

My plan is to use the front part of the carb body weld a plate on and attach the air feed to this. by doing this I can check for air leaks fro the carb mounting point onwards.

I know someone on ebay has made a bung to go into the manifold with a Schrader valve attached , mine will be similar but I will also mount a pressure gauge in line.

JanBros
Premix Junkie

Post by JanBros » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:52 pm

just use any type of metal tube that'll fit, no need in destroying a carb body :wink:
You know it's cold outside when you trip over dog shit instead of standing in it.

kezsam
Light Smoker

Post by kezsam » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:21 pm

JanBros wrote:just use any type of metal tube that'll fit, no need in destroying a carb body :wink:

I know what your saying but I need to be able to confirm that the o ring in the manifold isn't letting air past and the only way of telling is by using an old carb body , that's why I want an old defunct one so I can cut it up

James P
Heavy Smoker

Post by James P » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:39 pm

kezsam wrote:
JanBros wrote:just use any type of metal tube that'll fit, no need in destroying a carb body :wink:

I know what your saying but I need to be able to confirm that the o ring in the manifold isn't letting air past and the only way of telling is by using an old carb body , that's why I want an old defunct one so I can cut it up
How about one of the inlet plugs from Gasket Guru Dan McBryde (http://www.gasketguru.co.uk/product/kaw ... -test-kit/)? If you don't want the whole kit, you could probably just buy one plug. If the spigot of the PWK28 carb is a good fit for your inlet manifold, Dan's plug will be equally good.

If I seem to be missing the point of what you're trying to achieve, let me know 8) !

Regards,
James

James P
Heavy Smoker

Post by James P » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:51 pm

kezsam wrote:...I destroyed two pistons at Mallory park on Saturday
As well as testing for air leaks, you may like to consider fitting gauges and thermocouples so you can monitor CHT and EGT on each cylinder as you ride. Such a system should give you plenty of warning before serious damage occurs if another leak develops. It may not be cheap to equip a triple, but it will likely cost less than new pistons, rebores and crankshaft rebuild.

Regards,
James

JanBros
Premix Junkie

Post by JanBros » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:22 pm

kezsam wrote:

now you've lost me completly. what does the carb body have to do with the manifold or an O-ring of it (I presume the one between manifold and engine ?) :?:

kezsam
Light Smoker

Post by kezsam » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:30 pm

OK so what I have are billet manifolds for the pwk carbs adapted to fit the triple barrels . The manifolds have an oring inside that corresponds to the groove round the carb stub,and hence has the capability to leak if worn.

Hence the reason for a dead carb body for me to make a test kit,similar to the carb gurus idea only I will mount a pressure gauge in as well

JanBros
Premix Junkie

Post by JanBros » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:30 pm

you know someone with a lath ? as that can easily be copied on a thick-walled tube :wink: