Another newbie, never owned a KR before now but not a stranger to them....

The place to put pictures of your pride and joy - you can also post pics of your KR if you want!
Coose
Heavy Smoker

Re: Another newbie, never owned a KR before now but not a stranger to them....

Post by Coose »

Cheers. Did it fair ok?
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

yeah it did the job, stopped my chain eating my oversized lomas spannies
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Coose wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:37 pm I'm in Malton and a good friend of mine also has a KR1 and lives just outside of York. It's all his fault!

I'm planning on an MOT on the KR at some point (maybe quite soon at this rate), so hopefully it'll be out on the road.

I can't leave it alone. Wife was just sat on the sofa watching Friday night telly whilst I was stood in the garage contemplating a chain roller to clear the left-hand pipe....
Yep it kind of gets like that, always something to do to them. Hope you get it on the road out and about, hopefully see if we can get together at some point? I often head up to Helmsley on a weekend morning to have a run out, it's a nice little half hour run for me, probably similar for yourself.
Coose
Heavy Smoker

Post by Coose »

Yes, definitely! My chum Mark isn't far from you Doug so I'm sure he'd be up for it too.

There's been a lot of tinkering over the last few days. The forks now have damping (new oil), and I've just been generally tightening bits up and checking cable routing etc.

This morning I finally got around to taking off the seat and tank, only to find a rather nice little subframe: -

It has an S CDI, and looking at the KR register, from the engine number (61xx) I'd say the cases at least are S.
I have to say that the info on this site is excellent! The search facility is great! 8)

I still haven't found anything scary on the bike, where although I bought the bike as an unfinished project the work that's been done already is very good.

The bits have turned up to make a chain guide similar to Luders, so there's a job for one evening next week.

I just need to search a bit more to see if I can leave the oil pump in place as it's on premix, and as I'm completely out of touch I'll ask the usual boring tyre question - what are people using on the track now? It's currently wearing a pair of 13-year-old KR364s, where the rear is a little wide being a 160 on a 17x4.5 RGV rim. I'll probably still use them for now as there's no cracking and they're still nice and soft, and I always got on with them on my v-twin TZ250.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

I have 364's on both my race bikes. Mainly because the classic TT requires treaded tyre, but it's also an all round good tyre for dry or wet when on a track day. I'm lazy and can't be bothered swapping wheels anymore.

In terms of oil pump removal and going pre-mix, it does open up your choice of oil. I use a modern oil Xeramic 2T.

What are your hesitations in taking off the pump?
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

So far I've found the Bridgestone BT90's to be a great all round tyre. They'll do (and survive) track use for a road bike track day but they're good on road too and give good grip in the wet, but I'm not sure what sizes they run up to. On my standard 1S rims I run a 120fr 150rr.
Coose
Heavy Smoker

Post by Coose »

Thanks chaps. I believe KR364s are now out of production, and are BT090s too?

Regarding premix, that isn't the concern as I already have three bikes on it and have had stacks of bikes on premix over the years. The KR is already on premix but the pump is still fitted to my bike (the oil tank is not fitted and the feed from the tank to the pump is plugged), where my concern was damaging the pump as I may not get around to removing it before I use the bike in anger.
If you're running premix have you left the pump or is it still in place?
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

No it's fine to leave it, you may find the gear has been removed and it's being used to blank off the hole to the transmission.
Coose
Heavy Smoker

Post by Coose »

Thanks Luders. Once I need to take the cover off for some reason I'll remove the pump then as there's no need for it to be there.
Coose
Heavy Smoker

Post by Coose »

Chain guide fitted (thanks for the photo of yours, Luders) and all now clears with the chain correctly tensioned.

I now even have a working speedo thanks to Mr Kawasaki using the same receiver in the front wheel for about 20 years - I have the old front wheel out of my '81 Z1000J which is the same part number! I just need a horn and we should then be good for an MOT. 8)

I had a look up the left exhaust port to have a look at the ports, which look to be stock. I also had the float bowls off to see what size mains lurk within, to find a pair of 145s which I'm hoping will be sufficient for open carbs on premix. There's only one way to find out....
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

That will be safe, or very safe depending on how tuned the motor is. Using PWK28's on a fully tuned race engine, I was running 142 mains during the summer. 145's during Spring and Autumn, or unless there were crappy days in the summer months.
Coose
Heavy Smoker

Post by Coose »

I'll clear its tubes and then have a plug chop to see what's going on. That sounds promising though, thanks Luders. 8)
Coose
Heavy Smoker

Post by Coose »

Nearly done. I'm just awaiting delivery of a screen and then I can give the fairing a sand and a quick spray, probably black for now until I decide what to do with the rest of the bodywork. I'm thinking old-skool H2R green with a white stripe over the top....

I remembered yesterday that I have a set of four Pipercross filter socks, so having cleaned and re-oiled the best two, this morning I fitted them over the inlet tubes in what's left of the airbox which will either make it run rich, about right or waaaaaay too rich (probably the latter). A quick spin to the end of the road and back and it feels ok, but I won't know until I test it in anger.
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Looking good, can't wait to see how she goes.
Cheers
Bernie 8)
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
Rolex
Heavy Smoker

Post by Rolex »

Small video of her running hint hint bet she sounds awesome certainly looks cool