Green a two stroke but not a KR-1

The place to put pictures of your pride and joy - you can also post pics of your KR if you want!
TwoStroke Institute
Oil Injector

Green a two stroke but not a KR-1

Post by TwoStroke Institute »

Lucky enough to do some work on this old beauty, a 74 KX 450, has some nice touches SS spokes, magnesium hubs and backing plates and a plastic tank.Did 2 races in the desert and stored since, sent out to Aust in boxes assembled here.Add a $20 ebay nickel plated C&J swingarm, a few weeks work on the pipe and viola !
Anit see a purdy thing, seems a shame to get it dirty :lol:
Last edited by TwoStroke Institute on Wed May 26, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crochet & croquet
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

Nice, must have the teeny weeniest front drum!
Cheers
AL
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
Cliff
Premix Junkie

Post by Cliff »

That looks fun!
Reminds me a little of the YZ 400 we rode as teenagers in the late seventies 8) . We were lucky as my mates brother gave it to us, thinking now, maybe he didn't really like us much :lol: .
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

dont be fooled by its innocent looks, this s the original widow maker from khi. surely a bike worthy of showing AND competing in vintage mx. very nice, kawasaki easily made the nicest looking 70's strokers, esp the mx and road bikes with high level pipes ect. 2 of my fave road bikes from the era is the original 500 triple and the samurai(i think its called that?)
Cliff
Premix Junkie

Post by Cliff »

Just to add, i mentioned above "i dont think he liked us much".
I meant that i think he wanted to actually kill us! Those old strokers had a knife edge power band and sounded wicked.
TwoStroke Institute
Oil Injector

Yeah the front drum is way smaller than the rear, they were a bit of a torque monster rather than the peaky widow maker. It's really light probably 80-90kgs.Was bought for a song to............
crochet & croquet
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

I had an old Yamaha IT465, no powervalve and not at all peaky, like said before, a real torque monster. Still wanted to wheelie in every gear though.
Not too good at part throttle, it liked to be wide open or shut. :twisted: preferably wide open

Took it on a proper MX track once and was blown away as to how fast it was on the really rough stuff

0-pain in 3 seconds!
Cliff
Premix Junkie

Post by Cliff »

When i was 14, it was was peaky! =D>
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

would love an aircooled mx, gotta be one of the rawest, intimidating looking things on two wheels all while been beautiful in a twisted way. i really like the maico and big ole husky's ect. the it465 was apparently a bit of a weapon in its time aswell, lucky scooble had one, would love just vto ride one. promised myself a big bore mx bike like a cr or kx500
Sheik Yerbouti
Heavy Smoker

Post by Sheik Yerbouti »

It is pretty, good work there lozza. Did you make the pipe?
couple of the spokes dont look too stainless :-$

Similar one on evilbay, 400 though:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1975-Kawasaki-KX ... dZViewItem
TwoStroke Institute
Oil Injector

Yep that's my handiwork, can assure you EVERY one of those spokes are very shiny, just something to do with the camera/flash/night/whatever.
That very trustworthy Parramatta Rd used car salean has been trying to "sell" that KX for quite some time.
crochet & croquet
TwoStroke Institute
Oil Injector

For anyone remotely interested this bike is featured in the lastest issue of VMX magazine.

crochet & croquet