Another newbie, never owned a KR before now but not a stranger to them....

The place to put pictures of your pride and joy - you can also post pics of your KR if you want!
Coose
Heavy Smoker

Another newbie, never owned a KR before now but not a stranger to them....

Post by Coose »

Evening all,

Albeit a KR1 was the first proper sporty 250 I rode (back in 1990), I've never actually owned one. But, this fellow appeared at a local autojumble last Saturday, and by Sunday night it seemed I'd agreed to buy it!

I kind-of have the feeling that somebody knows this bike better than I do, so any info on it (in particular the motor) would be gratefully received.

It's definitely a "bitsa", but it has generally been done quite well. There are a few bits to finish off before it either gets an MOT or heads to Cadwell at the end of June (whichever is soonest), but it's generally all there.

I know how to search forums, but there may be a few daft questions coming so be prepared! :wink:

Cheers,
Coose

ImageDSC_9623_sm
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Another newbie, never owned a KR before now but not a stranger to them....

Post by Luders »

Welcome to the forum. It isn't one I recognise, where abouts are you in the country?
Coose
Heavy Smoker

Post by Coose »

Why thank you! 8)

I'm about 20 miles from York. I've just noticed that I can add a bit of detail to my profile such as location, so I'll do that.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

not very much original, but I like it. apart from the seat, that looks like not combining well with the rest.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Post by Gerrit »

Later RGV swingarm, USD forks, can't identify the wheels, seat is presumably a carbon fibre structure that partially functions as rear subframe, tank supported by special bridge at the rear..... I like it.
"Mine is a long and sad tale", said the mouse.
"Indeed it is", said Alice, looking at the mouse's tail.
Coose
Heavy Smoker

Post by Coose »

Yep, not far off. The back end is RGV as suggested with an EMC shock, the front is ZXR400 that has had a trip to Maxton (though need seals and oil, but that's no great shakes) with CBR600 front calipers.
The seat is late h***a RS250 on an ali subframe, with a Replicast "Burning Blood" fairing (what a rubbish name!). I have a screen coming for it.

The pipes look to be Lomas with Tyga cans, and the carbs are open into a chopped airbox but it seems to carburate well. I have no idea if anything has been done to the motor but it's very clean and crisp and has the look of a motor that's recently been on the bench.

After today's fiddling it now has a non-leaky steering damper that I forgot I had, now mounted in front of the yokes, a set of clocks that work and a chain that just skims the left-hand pipe, which is a little annoying but I'll sort it.
podman
Heavy Smoker

Post by podman »

Looks like you got yourself a very smart looking KR there, congrats...that a F2 YPVS and ELR in the background as well?

Obviously a man of fine taste...
Coose
Heavy Smoker

Post by Coose »

YPVS and a 1981 US Z1000J, though the YPVS is up for sale as the garage is rammed...

ImageZed!
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Nice wheels 8)
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Those pipes look a bit like mine

nice Lawson rep btw
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Sounds like you'll be local to me and Bernie Coose.. I'm about 10 miles fro York, built mine from a project about 5 years ago and love it (it's road spec but has been around Cadwell a few times). Nice bike you have there, looks like a little sorting and it'll be handy around a track.
Coose
Heavy Smoker

Post by Coose »

I'm in Malton and a good friend of mine also has a KR1 and lives just outside of York. It's all his fault!

I'm planning on an MOT on the KR at some point (maybe quite soon at this rate), so hopefully it'll be out on the road.

I can't leave it alone. Wife was just sat on the sofa watching Friday night telly whilst I was stood in the garage contemplating a chain roller to clear the left-hand pipe....
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

yeah I've had chains eating exhausts before can't exactly remember what I did about it though. Might be on my bike still, I'll take a look today.
Coose
Heavy Smoker

Post by Coose »

Luders wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:07 am yeah I've had chains eating exhausts before can't exactly remember what I did about it though. Might be on my bike still, I'll take a look today.
That'd be grand, cheers! I was reading your build thread this morning, but the thread was from 2011 so things may have developed since then.

I was thinking on maybe incorporating an MX-type guide on to the rear sprocket that would also act as a shark fin. Oliver’s Mount may start staging hill climbs again, so....
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

This is what I did...