After strip and rebuild - now to get rid of that nasty paint

The place to put pictures of your pride and joy - you can also post pics of your KR if you want!
Emm81

After strip and rebuild - now to get rid of that nasty paint

Post by Emm81 »

Here's my baby. I've owned it for a almost two years and have ridden it the sum total of around 50 miles!

Just weeks after buying it, the engine went - crank seals failed.. Off to BDK where they advised a total rebuild.

In the mean time I stripped the rest of the bike, powder coated the frame and swingarm matt black, refurbed the wheels, replaced all the bearings, fitted a new shock and rebuilt the forks and brakes. As well as scrubbing 20 years of congealed oil and gunk off everything.

Then I threw it all back together, started her up and off for an MOT. Passed :-) woo! Then the winter came... so it's been sat in the garage waiting for the spring. But in the mean time I've started stripping all the nasty paint (home spray by a previous owner, complete with mis-spelled graphics - nice) off the fairings, ready for a less nasty, but equally home-done spray job.

I just want to ride and enjoy it this summer before I take it off the road and get a proper pro respray next winter. Some saving-up to do in the meantime.

Anyway - this is my smoking monster, just before we went for an MOT.

john-b
Oil Injector

Post by john-b »

looks good to me, i like the paint. Now we just need a summer
I wish i knew something about KR's so i was like knowledgeable about them and everything like what you lot are ;-) :-) :-)
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

So what do you have in mind for the respray Emm81?

Original or something unique?

Keep the pics coming.

Howie
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Not the best pic Emm81 but it looks pretty good the way it is
"Turned out nice again"
salty
Heavy Smoker

Post by salty »

Paints not so bad - put some miles on it save your money for two stroke oil, tyres, two stroke oil, pistons and two stroke oil. If the paints so good you don't dare crash you won't reach full potential - spend it all on track days instead. Its tempting to aim for perfection but regular use is more fun. Nobody wants to crash but it makes a good excuse for a repray when you do - will keep reading PB for updates - what's happened to the other KR1-S in PB?

Salty
Emm81

Post by Emm81 »

I'm just in the middle of flatting it all down and primering it - going to blast it with a temporary matt black paint job for the time being so I can enjoy it without worrying.

Bike isn't it PB - I think it was Tim Thompson (the now editor of Bike Magazine) who had the stunning KR-1S that was last in PB!
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

looks tidy emma is this the bike thats featured in Rides project pages?
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor