piston no good on the new toy

The place to put pictures of your pride and joy - you can also post pics of your KR if you want!
classic_2smokers

piston no good on the new toy

Post by classic_2smokers »

I took my exhaust pipes of the other day and had look up the ports and the right cylinder was perfect and then had a look up the right cylinder port and :shock: yip you guessed it piston is all scuffed and the bore so it looks like I will be replacing pistons and getting the bores replated,I did intend on gettig thwm done anyway but what a surprise. I was thinking of sending them to Stan Stephens in UK because I have heard he is pretty good.Does anyone else have any suggestions on this and the piston kits he sells are they the upgraded kits ie stronger locating pin for the rings. Any help would be good on this topic. Thankyou :D
two strokes rule and smell good too! Hmmmmm
Charles
Premix Junkie

Re: piston no good on the new toy

Post by Charles »

Hi,
classic_2smokers wrote: I was thinking of sending them to Stan Stephens in UK because I have heard he is pretty good.Does anyone else have any suggestions on this and the piston kits he sells are they the upgraded kits ie stronger locating pin for the rings.
I'd rather send them to BDK, they offer an excellent replating service, that lots of people here on the forum have successfully used:

http://www.bdkraceeng.co.uk/Replates.htm

They sell Mitaka-pistons which are good quality.

Some people here have had some bad experiences with Stan, he's also more expensive IIRC as BDK.

Charles
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Stan used to be the man, but most of what I've seen (many members have posted details) of his recent work has left much to be desired. There's many other UK based business's that have had really good feedback from members including Graham File and PJME of the top of my head. You also have NZ Cylinders if you want to go local which seem to have decent feedback (although limited).
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)