New commuter bike GPX600R

The place to put pictures of your pride and joy - you can also post pics of your KR if you want!
maccas
Oil Injector

New commuter bike GPX600R

Post by maccas »

hi guys, just thought i would show you my new purchase to commute into uni and back on:

http://bristol.gumtree.com/bristol/77/66661277.html

has anyone any experience with gpx 600's, good, bad? any common problems? seems to have been very well looked after!

first impressions are that i don't like the 16 inch wheels and the brakes are terrible but i will have a look at the calipers tomorrow
blueshockwave
Smoker

Post by blueshockwave »

Looks great to me Maccas,and a lot of bike for the money..... =D>
shock wave of blue smoke!
the KR kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the KR kid »

Looks too good to use as a commuter bike, but a bargain all the same.

Don't know if they used the same parts (maybe someone on here can confirm or not?) but GPz600's had a weak cush drive.
Stop annoying me, I'm running out of space to hide the bodies!

GS750B
KH250B5
Premix Junkie

kr

Post by 375 »

I thought it was going to be red, but i like the white a lot excellent as a main bike.
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

i was also worried about the bike being too good to use as a commuter

when i went to look at the bike i was prepared to walk away if it was too good but i managed to get it for £200 less than what they were asking for so i thought i had to take it

the bike has been in storage for more than six years and the black chrome etc. is in very very good condtion, there is no pitting on the fork legs, the wheels have no corrosion at all, there is no play in any of the bushes or bearings, the bike rides very well for its age

all it needs is a strip and check of the front brakes, the fork seals want doing and it needs a front indicator

i will get some more pics tomorrow after i have polished it etc.
the KR kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the KR kid »

The white ones are certainly rarer than the red. If it's in such good nick you should consider it as rare as a good KR! Most were used as hacks or ridden 'til they dropped!

Like to see some more pics! \:D/
Stop annoying me, I'm running out of space to hide the bodies!

GS750B
KH250B5
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

polished it and gave it a proper clean today, also looked at the brakes

the sliders in the caliper hangers were all pretty stiff so i've freed them off, some of the pistons needed working in and out aswell, much better now, however i need all new sets of brake pads as the braking material just simply fell off the backing metal, so i'm pretty glad i stripped the brakes before riding the bike a long way!!!!

anyway here are some pics:

waynester
Light Smoker

Post by waynester »

That is in flippin good condition for age! :shock:

Almost a shame to use through the salty winter which will no doubt be upon us very shortly!
john-b
Oil Injector

Post by john-b »

they were a good bike i had one back in the day about 1991, i think it was a G plate a blue and white one.

I never had any problems.
I wish i knew something about KR's so i was like knowledgeable about them and everything like what you lot are ;-) :-) :-)
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

I bought and used one for commuting last winter. It was in good nick with only 20k miles on the clock. It ran faultlessly the whole winter. The only problem I got was that it was very unstable at higher speeds (100mph and more), it scared the sh** out of me on the autobahn. As I didn't want to spend much money curing this and I saw this very good condition GPZ900, I sold it again (broken in parts).

Charles
kwackman12
Oil Injector

Post by kwackman12 »

Check the tyres maccas I had a front tyre "unpeel" on me once & that looked ok when I picked it up!
KR1 race bike
ZXR 400 Race Bike
Aprilia RS250
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

i will definitely have a good look at the tyres, i have heard bad things about dunlop arrowmax's lol, not sure what is on the front, i take it they are cross plies?
john-b
Oil Injector

Post by john-b »

i never had stability problems i remember coming down off the mountain at the tt head on tank 145 on the speedo :lol:

Arrow max were original fitment and rubbish as i remember. I swapped to avon something or others they were really good in a track compound but they wore fast and it was a bugger getting specks of rubber of the belly pan. The others that were good were metzler i think it was an me33. Dont know if you can still get them though. I think they are 16 inch wheels front and rear arnt they.
I wish i knew something about KR's so i was like knowledgeable about them and everything like what you lot are ;-) :-) :-)
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

That does look a bargain

It looks like i might have to ride my KR this winter (back tyre and chain/sprockets will need replacing in the spring anyway)

I was going to remove the bodywork and spray the rest of the bike with ACF50 - has anybody tried it? the reviews in the adverts all seem good
Smokings Good For You
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

yep they are 16 inch rims front and rear

when the tyres need changing i think i will go with bridgestone bt45's as i have these on my tzr 250 and they are quite hard wearing and also plenty grippy enough for my riding style, plus they come in the oddball sizes that are on the bike

i have also heard good things about acf50, it might be worth me investing in some for the winter also

just waiting on my insurance cover note to turn up as well as the full set of brake pads i ordered for the bike