Pandora's box - Kr1s

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Re: Pandora's box - Kr1s

Post by Gerrit »

I assure you there's no kickstarter on those large marine diesels, they are started using air at about 25 bar. Max rpm is around 110.
I think I have a photo of me sitting on a piston somewhere- try that with a KR piston! :D
"Mine is a long and sad tale", said the mouse.
"Indeed it is", said Alice, looking at the mouse's tail.
dmac
Heavy Smoker

Post by dmac »

Sounds very interesting Gerrit, I wonder do Mitaka do replacements? :lol:

I reckon most people on here would have a natural interest in any info you might have handy on these big motors.

I got the side fairing brackets made today,
Some dimensions from this post.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8512

I have a rough fairing that has intact mounting pegs at the headlight. I used this to make sure everything was lined up properly, then trial fitted the painted fairing. The painted fairing had a mounting peg reconstructed in the wrong place, so this was cut off and a hole drilled and tapped for a M6 allen screw. The head of the screw is the new locating peg.

The belly pan is missing the front locating hole under the rad. I reckon I might make up one out of steel and bolt it through, or maybe plastic welding a new piece might be neater but weaker.

I can't understand how these things weren't fixed before the plastics were painted, but that's how they are :?

They do look good once on the bike though :D
I used to be undecided, but now I am not so sure.
dmac
Heavy Smoker

Post by dmac »

My take on the fairing brackets, rough and ready but better than nothing.

Had a small issue with the exhausts, when fitted at the barrels and at the rear footpegs, the center mounts were about 1 cm too high.

On looking at the chamber and comparing them to the spare ones, it was obvious that the stinger part of the expansion chambers were bent upwards #-o

I knew that oversized rubber mallet would come in handy some day and today was that day.
It took a many tries - exhausts on and off each time to get everything lined up and both rear silencers in line with each other - real pain in the ass, but it's done now.

I also fitted the best brake discs onto the rough wheels, as mentioned earlier I will roll on the rough wheels and tyres for now.

Getting there now - just small jobs left now.
c&c
Heavy Smoker

Post by c&c »

How is it going,
What part of ireland are you in.. ?
I"ll take the wine,you can have the bread.
dmac
Heavy Smoker

Post by dmac »

Down in the sunny south east, and you?
c&c
Heavy Smoker

Post by c&c »

Not so sunny Kildare..
I"ll take the wine,you can have the bread.
dmac
Heavy Smoker

Post by dmac »

I haven't forgotten about Pandora -- work continues

Went to fit the chain today, it had been moved from different storage places over the last while
Got the chain in its box and the tools needed, took off the front sprocket cover and chain guard.
Got out my chain riveter and went to get the chain rivet link ready to join it up, not in the packet - crap.
Looked where I stored the chain, nope - looked in the tool box, looked in the storage area - no. I looked for over an hour and couldn't find it.

I couldn't remember if I had used it for something else or just lost it. So drove 22 miles to the bike shop and they luckily had one in stock, came home fitted the chain. Refitted the chain guard and the lifted the front sprocket cover - what do you think I found under the sprocket cover? :twisted:

Good to have a spare :lol:

When the chain was fitted I gave everything a quick check over and brought it for a shakedown test.
Still lots of little jobs to do, but wanted to see how it went on the road.

Excuse the mess, building just nearing completion.

I seem to have a blocked vent in the filler cap, bike went fluffy and conked out, opened filler cap and I could hear the whoosh of air going in, went fine with the cap slightly ajar. - another job to do. going in the right direction now!
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

Bikes looking really good. If its any consolation I get vapour lock on a 50cc Tekumseh lawnmower engine AND BMW had it as a problem on the early F650 / 800 twins ( one of my other bikes) Really noticeable when the tank is full when the vapour space is least.

Steve
dmac
Heavy Smoker

Post by dmac »

Thanks, its getting there. It's not fully finished yet.

I took the fuel cap off and checked it - works fine so maybe I was low on petrol instead.

I have G650 single, thankfully it has no fuel problems - very efficient bikes.
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

The underseat tanks coupled with the fuel pump caused issues on the twins. Might not have affected the singles. In 2008 there was a recall for venting! Efficiency wise 70 mpg is reasonable, bit of a step change from the KR