I've started ....

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
Hawk
Heavy Smoker

I've started ....

Post by Hawk »

Let's see if I ever finish it :)

Have been able to spend some quality time in the garage over the last week or so and have managed to pull everything together and give it a good look over.

The bike has been stood for 10 years but the good news is that everything appears to be here. Bad news is that a lot of it is fecked! All the body work is cracked / scuffed / has bits missing, the main fairing is from a C3 (I think - certainly not a B2) the mirrors are broken, the front discs are only good for the bin and everything needs a bloody good clean.

Here's some pics (which make it look waaaay better than it is):

SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Re: I've started ....

Post by SP_BOTT »

Well, it doesn't look too bad to me, (engine looks ok too) have a look through the project section, and see what some have to start with. Keep the pics coming, looks like a bit of a mismatch of bodywork, but fairly easy to repair yourself.
Hawk
Heavy Smoker

Post by Hawk »

The photos really do flatter it.

I'm not too worried about the engine, frame etc as they will be stripped and painted but the bodywork is a mess. The rear and tank are repairable but the main fairing and belly pan have crash damage.

The bellypan I can repair but the top fairing has corners missing and the ears by the screen are missing as well. So I not too sure what to do.

I can't repair without the missing bits and replacement panels are impossible to find. If I have to I will use race fairings but .....
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

there are plenty good belly's out there, get one of those and use parts of your damaged one to repair your top fairing, as they are very hard to find.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Hawk
Heavy Smoker

Post by Hawk »

JanBros wrote:there are plenty good belly's out there, get one of those and use parts of your damaged one to repair your top fairing, as they are very hard to find.
That makes a lot of sense and is my preferred option in principle but I'm not so sure it is as easy as that.

The corners of the fairing are a fairly easy fix but the 'ears' that the screen attaches to are missing on both sides from the mirro mounts. These are curved, an awkward shape, have bevelled edges and very little to actually attach to. Plus the repairs will be in a very visible place.

I'd be more confident if I had the actual missing pieces to bond to my fairing but making them is a different story.

Surely someone must have a crash damaged fairing hidden in their garage [-o<
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

Hawk wrote: Surely someone must have a crash damaged fairing hidden in their garage [-o<
sure, most of us have, but they all seem to have the same damage :cry:

if you heat the plastic to the correct temperature, you can bend it into any shape. take a piece of plastic large enough, heat it and make th correct bend, then cut out to the size needed and plastic weld it. done correctly is as strong as a non-repaired one.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !