My next one, maybe

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

My next one, maybe

Post by SP_BOTT »

Hi, going to be havings a go at this over the next few months, bought it quite cheaply as it is seized, but had a really nice C3 fairing/exhausts etc fitted, and also 1s parts as can be seen. Depending on what the engine reveals, it might end up a breaker.

Why would the engine lock the back wheel with it in gear and clutch lever in, does that point to the gearbox? Did poke my finger in the exhaust ports, and couldn't feel any mashed pistons, big ends seized???

Last edited by SP_BOTT on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Re: My next one, maybe

Post by Luders »

Could be an issue with the transmission
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Was hoping it could possibly be the clutch plates stuck together, in no hurry to do this, so see what appears when I get the engine out later this week, are there any weak points of the KR?
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Not as easy as expected...
engine out

As you can see, both cylinders full of oil/water etc, it was the LH big end that was solid although other side not much better :)

Is it worth sending this off for a rebuild? or chances of getting a S/H crank in useable condition? I'm assuming everything will be k###ed on this crank and will cost more than a quick bearing change on a used one??

Anyone got one for sale? are they hard to get hold of?
Last edited by SP_BOTT on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nikfubar
Smoker

Post by nikfubar »

Get a quote from these guys, they have a good reputation & did my triple crank re-build.

https://www.pjme.co.uk/acatalog/Crank_S ... lding.html
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Well forgot i'd started a thread, so a very slow update, to roughly where I am now, still haven't sorted the engine, but done some cosmetic stuff, (and got a few other projects on the go at the same time)

As you can see the wheel paint was virtually worn away on front and rear wheels.

So time to polish the rims

Discs also very dull, slightly rusted, and the coating had no real colour to it any more.

Stripped, painted, re-zinced and ready to fit

Last edited by SP_BOTT on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Decided to hand paint the frame, as it was badly chipped, dented in a few places, and powdercoating wouldn't hide any of the damage, it's not mint, but much more presentable. top yoke finish replicated, forks replaced with some better ones I had, bottoms were factory finished with cheapo green scourers.

Awaiting a rear tyre, and then I'll have a rolling chassis to move about, got a cheapo shock on another KR, (can't remember the make) stripped it down, it had no leaks, so repainted the spring, cleaned and assembled.

Last edited by SP_BOTT on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
podman
Heavy Smoker

Post by podman »

Thats looking a lot, lot better already mate, keep up the good work! =D>
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Well two years later, been doing stuff on and off, got several more projects on the go too, and little room to throw stuff around, so it's been at the back of the shed.

Bagged a JMC arm from fleabay, which fitted fairly easily, but needed a professional polish as it was a bit manky. Futted a new tyre, and eventually has a rolling chassis. Also fitted one of the fleabay rear discs.

Then refubed all the calipers, with new seals and paint.

Got the engine back together, after giving it a clean and paint

KIPS arms and joints were totally worn so got some cheapo alloy items from an RC car, and had to make a stainless arm as one broke on disassembly.

Engine in with nearly all re-zinced bolts/kickstart etc. Headlight brackets ready to fit a round headlight rather than the original square unit.

That's just about up to date now, but it's always easier to work on once you can move it around the shed, or outside.
Last edited by SP_BOTT on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Very nice =D> =D> =D>
Keep the photos coming
Cheers
Bernie :)
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
podman
Heavy Smoker

Post by podman »

Great stuff mate, thats really neat thinking on the kips linkages!
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

It might have taken a while, but its cracking along well now. As above the Kips solution looks really neat.
Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Post by Gerrit »

I ilke the swingarm! Is JMC still in business? I haven't been able to find their website- if they ever had one.
"Mine is a long and sad tale", said the mouse.
"Indeed it is", said Alice, looking at the mouse's tail.
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

Gerrit wrote:I ilke the swingarm! Is JMC still in business? I haven't been able to find their website- if they ever had one.
Here you go

http://www.streetfightersbydesign.com/s ... arm_pg.htm

Steve
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Thanks for the comments, Must admit, never knew JMC were still in business, (if it's th same people with an up to date website, looks to have gone to the USA, customer sevice was reported as being 'shocking' at best)

Need a lot more parts, might fit an R6 shock, just to jack the back end up a bit. It's jut a doer-upper, (not a mint resto) as the fairing mounts have snapped of, so will need time to sort out headlight and clocks of some sort.
Onwards slowly :)