Luke's KR1s project

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
Luke KR1s

Luke's KR1s project

Post by Luke KR1s »

First off, Hello to everyone and thanks for all the wonderful info on this forum!

I have been searching for a KR1s for some time now and have finally managed to get one. For 2 weeks I have been reading everything that I can on this forum and I have learnt a lot to say the least, not to say I dont have some questions :).

I managed to buy the bike from a guy in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. this was about 600km from my house down in Cape Town, so I bought it from looking at one picture. It just arrived 3 hours ago, and from a first glance I am very happy with it.

It is going to be a long term project that I plan to spend lots of time, effort and money on. It is a KR1s afterall :wink:. The seller said it doesnt want to start, which can mean anything, so I am hoping that I can get it going without too much effort before the strip down takes place.

My first questions are:

It has frame number: KR250C000319 which says to me it is a C1 model and only the 319th made of the KR1s series if I am correct?

It has engine number: KR250BE002614 which says to me it is a KR1 B series engine going by the graphs on the models/engine numbers thread.

I can see the chassis is all KR1s from my knowledge, but the engine, I am not sure of.

What are the differences between KR1 and KR1s engines? barrels, head, PV, pistons etc? Are there any markings/numbers I can check to clarify which I have? (any help will be appreciated)

now, onto the pictures:

The pic I bought her from, I believe it was take about a year ago.

Collection.

yes, I know... lots of work needed to restore her to former glory.

stupid carbon stickers...

Thank you to everyone in advance!

Luke
Luke KR1s

Re: Luke's KR1s project

Post by Luke KR1s »

Hi Guys,

just a quick update. Managed to get the engine running despite the choke and one idle screw being missing. She sounded good for a few mins until I heard a sound coming from the flywheel side. So took the flywheel off only to discover someone had put the incorrect flywheel on and it was rubbing up against the aluminium casing. I am astonished it even started, I'm sure the timing was completely out!

So I have been looking for a second hand flywheel as the new price is quite horrendous and haven't had any luck yet. The rest of the parts I need aren't priced too badly and I will be ordering them soon.

done some more cleaning in the mean time with lots still to do :).

Luke
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Chassis number is correct as you thought.
Engine number is correct, but not as you thought.

BE is stamped on all the engines, doesn't mean it's off a B model though.

Visible differences are the gearbox oil filler was ally on the KR-1, which was removed using a big flat head screwdriver. The 1S was fitted with a plastic version, removable with your hands. There is also an additional bolt on the clutch casing on the 1S.

Differences you can't see:
Ports are larger on the 1S and the 1 has an additional boost port below the C transfer. Power valve aperture is larger on the 1S to reflect the larger sub exhaust ports.
Reed valves were made of carbon fibre on the 1S.
mavesyn

Post by mavesyn »

Looks better after a clean....
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

You can take off the resonator chamber and there will be a number cast in, which will give you an idea.
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

have a close look at the calipers
i suspect they may be originally grey from that flip shitty paint job
and front disk carrier black
180k speedo JDM matches KHI data...
http://www.kawasaki-motors.com/for_user ... earch.html
319 JDM
Luke KR1s

Post by Luke KR1s »

Hi Luders,

thanks for the great info! Never would have seen that the kr1s has an extra bolt for the clutch cover, at least not without having a kr1 and kr1s.

Ally oil cap.
no extra bolt for the clutch cover.
carbon fiber reeds.

So it looks like the only kr1 parts I have are the clutch cover and cap. Of course that could mean I have kr1 barrels and a whole kr1 engine even (not that the rest is any different from the kr1s?). I have a starting point now and shall be looking forward to the rebuild to really check everything :).

Hi KR-1R,

I had a good look at the calipers now and unfortunately they didn't spray over the original paint job, instead they actually stripped it down first. so it is all bear metal with nothing but crap gold on it.

If I understand you correctly your saying my kr1s is a rare blue and metallic silver jap only import? Which makes sense to me because it was first registered in 1993 meanwhile it was produced in 1989. I hope I have it right because that is some nice news :D.

I'm not sure if the link is working correctly, I get this?:

thanks guys for the reply's!

Luke
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Take the resonator covers off and check the number of your barrels
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

drop down box by second arrow selects frame number series
ie KR250C-
000319 result confirms bike was Japanese Domestic Market origin

仕様 車種 年式 モデルコード パーツカタログ番号 パーツカタログ名 選択部品
日本 KR-1S/KR-1R 1989 KR250-C1 '89-'90 KR250-C1/C2/D1/D2

although system cannot elaborate build body colour
the Zeus blue colour was only 1989 in the early C1 range amongst black/green (Japs didnt get common C2 or C3 colour schemes)

It DOESNT mean your bike was Zeus only a chance - given early frame number and wheels already correct colour.
and other obvious clues calipers, brake rotor carriers have been carelessly stripped or covered over.
your engine number confirms it isnt original (second hand motor)

GPZ/X 250 had blue rear master cylinder reservoirs
the frame appears to have been painted (rivnuts for fairing mounts)
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Restore it the zeus blue colour scheme Luke, you know it makes sense
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

whats the other bike there - a 3MA (with USD) ?
Luke KR1s

Post by Luke KR1s »

Hi Luders,

ok, so barrels are 1543 & 1544. I assume those are the last 4 digits in the part number? If so the C2/C3 barrels should be 1596 & 1597. So that means I have kr1 barrels :?:.
Restore it the zeus blue colour scheme Luke, you know it makes sense
makes lots of sense :D.

Hi KR-1R,

Frame has been sprayed and once again has been done terribly... they left most of the parts bolted/attached and just covered them with masking tape :O.

yes Sir, you are correct, its a 3MA1 with 3MA3 USD front end :). very well spotted! Its nearly done, although I didn't do a complete job on that one unlike this kr1s I will be restoring.

Luke
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Sounds to me like the engine was replaced with a KR-1 motor and the original 1S reed valves were used. Bit of a shame, but not the end of the world.
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

Ben

I have never seen a Stock KR-1 with reeds other than carbon. The fiberglass reeds I have seen were after market.
If reeds are Carbon I would say they are stock?

MJ