This is going to be fun!!

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
KR1Lee
Light Smoker

This is going to be fun!!

Post by KR1Lee »

Hi everyone, I finally started the strip down on my KR1. I'm going to try and restore it to as new if I can! I have a friend who can re-plate and powder coat all the fixings, brackets etc. I've never really worked on bikes to this extent so I'm really looking forward to it, so please bare with me as there'll be some silly questions posted. First question is what to do with the frame, powder coat or 2 pack? Any help along the way will be much appreciated!

Cheers

Lee :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DougB
Oil Injector

Re: This is going to be fun!!

Post by DougB »

Hi Lee. Looks like a good bike to be starting a restoration on, from that second pic it looks mostly standard? Bad news on those forks though they're definitely shot. Several places will do the rechroming from about £140 per pair if you strip them yourself. New parts are around but can be hard to track down!
KR1Lee
Light Smoker

Post by KR1Lee »

Hi Bozbridge, as far as I know it's all there apart from the fairing, which was after market. The seat unit is original but painted and the tank has had filler. I'll worry about the plastics later, its about 75% stripped from the photo, so if I can finish it this week I will get all the bits to my mate for plating. The wheels I can get powder coated for £100. The time consuming parts will be bearings and seals I think?
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Plenty to keep you busy then :D Fortunately from what I've found getting bearings and seals is pretty straight forward (most are standard size), if not genuine then just pattern bits up aftermarket, even fork bushes are easy to find, have you found Cradleys website? Their online parts catalogue shows what is NLA and what you can get.

Doug.
KR1Lee
Light Smoker

Post by KR1Lee »

Hi Doug, yes I found Cradley the other week thanks. What's your opinion on frame finish, powder coat or paint?
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

KR1Lee wrote:Hi Doug, yes I found Cradley the other week thanks. What's your opinion on frame finish, powder coat or paint?
Personal choice I think, I got mine sprayed. I read another post on here that someone had powder coating done but it turned out too thick so they had it stripped back off, that helped me decide! I think sprayed is original as well but I reckon there will be someone else on here who will know for certain.

Powder coat is more resiliant though, having to be careful with mine whenever I go near it with the spanners :shock:
KR1Lee
Light Smoker

Post by KR1Lee »

Done a bit more tonight. Think the forks have had it, they have a kink just where the bottom clamp is. So i'm on the look out for KR1 forks unless someone thinks they can be repaired.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EYREY1
Heavy Smoker

Post by EYREY1 »

look for more forks mate
they are toast
if they are bent the can be rolled straight by a pro
but with creases they are scrap
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

I'd be keeping an eye on these if I was you Lee :wink:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-KR1S ... 35ec807ae5
KR1Lee
Light Smoker

Post by KR1Lee »

Thanks for that Doug, I'll keep an eye on them. I've been in touch with someone who has a few stanchions too. Bike is completely stripped now so time to start making a list! :D
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

Those forks are er forked :lol:
Can it yer old boiler
KR1Lee
Light Smoker

Post by KR1Lee »

Ha ha, you want to see the numpty trying to rebuild it! :wink:
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Lee
That has had a really good bang to crease the stantions like that, make sure that you either check or replace the yokes and check the bottom engine mounts to make sure they are not cracked.
Have you hpi checked it to see if it was a write off?
Regards
Bernie :)
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
KR1Lee
Light Smoker

Post by KR1Lee »

Hi Bernie, yeah I HPI'd it and it came back clear. I bought the other frame off Mike. The frame i had had been drilled for brackets. How do I check the yokes? Did you find the link on ebay for the new loom, mine has been attacked at some point so would rather replace than chew with potential problems. Cheers, Lee.
daz680
Oil Injector

Post by daz680 »

Hi Lee
I've got a pair of KR1 forks that you can have for the price of the postage but the stanctions will need re-chroming, but their no where near as bad has yours. Just a couple of rust spots here and there.
Daz
Currently building RC30 lookalike