My KR1s Project

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
toby69
Light Smoker

My KR1s Project

Post by toby69 »

Recently bought a KR1S, had been looking for a stroker for a while ideally a 350 YPVS as I had owned them before and done a lot of work to them so know my way around them pretty well.
But... A KR1S came up for sale just a wee bit up the road from me and had been restored around 5 years ago so decided to go have a look.
Anyway the bike looks great from a distance and in photos but on closer inspection the paint work was a bit ropey and there was a few issues mechanically that needed attention.
This is how it looked when I brought it home

Plan was to run it up till winter and that would give me a better idea of what all it might need done over the winter months. The previous owner said he did a top end rebuild on it 5 years ago and it's only done 600 - 700 hundred miles since so technically it should be good to go.
I've taken it out for a run twice and there just seems to be something not 100% with it so it was decided to strip it now and restore/rebuild it before I use it anymore.

Engine is going to be going down to BDK engineering for a full overhaul nearer the end of the year. At least then it will give me a solid base to start from and I'll know the engine is 100%
BDK and Firefox racing were the only two company's that got back to my e-mail enquiry's. Although I've never heard much of Firefox?

So this weekend seen the strip down start!!

Don't think the tank has been off for 5 years!! started giving it a clean then decided I better start taking pics of the strip/build lol fuel pipes all split and leaking fuel, and 1 carb seems to be leaking slightly!

Quite a lot of splits/cracks in the panels

Bought a plastic welding kit and I'm amazed at just how well it fixes the cracks etc ( Photos to follow )

Fuel tank needs a bit of TLC although inside is remarkably pretty much rust free. Just to small areas of rust in the bottom corners. I've ordered up a tank sealing kit to nip it in the bud before it spreads

Exhaust hangers aren't even doing anything!!! and they are only held on to the bike by the two studs to the barrels!!!! all other fixings missing!!

Due to the amount of coats of paint and all the cracks etc on the panels I decided to take them back pretty much to bare plastic just to see what's what. And came across this rather nice paint job. ZXR colours. Think it would've looked pretty well back in the day! Remember seeing a KR1 in those colours in a mag many years ago

I had various colours of candy paints in stock as I do a bit of Hydro dipping in my spare time.

They are a pretty good match for the paint, but I've decided they might just be a bit too in your face and make the bike a bit too bling so opted for standard paint colours

I have absolutely no experience with KR1s so this will be a huge learning curve for me.

If anyone has any help and info that might help me along the way I would be very greatfull
It was never supposed to turn into a full rebuild/restoration but I'm just to fussy and not happy with the way it was
Top-shaggy
Premix Junkie

Re: My KR1s Project

Post by Top-shaggy »

Great start to a rebuild thread. Ask away .. Lots of experience on here and information.
Hope it goes well :)
If it takes more than 2strokes then your just playing at it..
skidc2
Light Smoker

Post by skidc2 »

Nice to see my old bike has gone to a good home :) keep us posted on the resto.
toby69
Light Smoker

Post by toby69 »

Well finally got round to starting the respray. My first proper go at doing big multicoloured panels. and I'm very impressed with how it's turned out so far. Just hope the clear coat goes as well! lol

On the downside I noticed there is coolant around the bottom edge of the radiator when I was fitting the panels for masking up!!!
So looks like I need either another radiator or that one repaired!!!
Anyone any pointers on someone that could repair the radiator or the best option to go for? Thinking if I buy second hand it could be exactly the same and not any better.

Excuse my very make shift spray booth!! lol

Never used a proper spray gun till about this time last year so I'm very impressed with how it's coming along.

It was very satisfying pealing off the masking tape to see the end result of a lot of work which I wasn't sure how it would turn out!
Just though I can't make it any worse to so gave it a bash!!
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Excellent results there toby, done a lot of bodywork myself this year, and it's extremely hard work to get a good finish, keep the pics coming, as I've just bought another 1s that needs total resto, and will probably try the paintwork like you.

Got any tips on the colours/makes of paint, or suppliers you used please

Are you going to 2K clear on top
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Great work =D> =D> =D>
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
toby69
Light Smoker

Post by toby69 »

SP_BOTT wrote: Got any tips on the colours/makes of paint, or suppliers you used please

I know the owner of our local car shop and after a good bit of searching through his colour shade charts we found the 3 colours in the same book dating to around the year the bike was made so went with them and I think they are spot on. I could get the paint codes next time I'm in if I remember.
Yeah going to use 2k clear coat over the top once I put the decals on
c&c
Heavy Smoker

Post by c&c »

Had dealings with FireFox with regard to my rear shock...Never again. ](*,)
I"ll take the wine,you can have the bread.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Nice work, you could try a company that reconditions radiators for classics.
toby69
Light Smoker

Post by toby69 »

SP_BOTT wrote:Excellent results there toby, done a lot of bodywork myself this year, and it's extremely hard work to get a good finish, keep the pics coming, as I've just bought another 1s that needs total resto, and will probably try the paintwork like you.

Got any tips on the colours/makes of paint, or suppliers you used please

The paint colours/codes for mixing I got from my friend are:
White = Bianco perlato A446 ( Also requires a white base coat, I just used the white base I had already )
Green = Verde A384/L
Blue = Blu A922

Not sure if these work with every place that mixes paint but would be worth a try.

c&c wrote:Had dealings with FireFox with regard to my rear shock...Never again. ](*,)
I've been in touch with BDK and going to go there, but being the fussy Bugger I am I would rather take the engine down and meet the people doing the work face to face! so it's just trying to get time to make the 8-9 hour journey just to get there!!!! I did hope to have holidays around now and could've dropped off and picked up again a week later but just far to busy with work and not able to get time off!!!!

Luders wrote:Nice work, you could try a company that reconditions radiators for classics.
Thanks, any recommendations?

I've now got the Decals on and panels clear coated and I'm very happy with the results!! a few rouge hairs seem to have found their way into the clear coat but still very happy and looks miles better than before.
Will try to get some more pics up and maybe have time to trail fit the panels just to see how she looks
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

I don’t I'm afraid
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Will from Blackpool found a company when he was doing his "Cool Running" restoration.
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Thanks for the paint codes, will ask if that means anything to the suppliers, I can always take a panel in for them to scan otherwise.
A week turnaround from BDK, good luck with that :)
I stood outside their workshop for hours, waiting for them to roll into work one day, but the stuff they do is top notch from what I saw.
toby69
Light Smoker

Post by toby69 »

SP_BOTT wrote:Thanks for the paint codes, will ask if that means anything to the suppliers, I can always take a panel in for them to scan otherwise.
A week turnaround from BDK, good luck with that :)
I stood outside their workshop for hours, waiting for them to roll into work one day, but the stuff they do is top notch from what I saw.

Lol Brock did say it was just doable in a week, said it just kinda depended on the state of the engine etc

Anyway got a chance to trail fit the panels and tank and I'm rather impressed with how they look. Maybe not perfect if your being fussy but 100 times better than what they were and to an untrained eye :lol: the bits that aint perfect would probably not be noticed. Nae bad for someone that has self taught them self how to spray paint over the last few months

Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Yeah looks good, impressive. Are you doing the wheels next?