THE UPS AND DOWNS,DOWNS,DOWNS OF KR1-S AT CLASSIC TT 2015

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
russell
Smoker

THE UPS AND DOWNS,DOWNS,DOWNS OF KR1-S AT CLASSIC TT 2015

Post by russell »

Well it was a very interesting 2 weeks and I will try not to bore you too much. Many lessons were learnt including why in the first place then again time is a great healer.
The "race" bike managed 2 laps in practice = 1st lap 94 mph and 2nd lap 96 mph with a top speed of 122 mph through the Sulby speed trap, the TZs were maxing out at 140-145. Our rider Billy Redmayne said it handled a dream and it was helpful for him to get his lines right for his 600 and 750 races later in the week.
Unfortunately on 3rd practice lap L/H piston burst.
Standard bike was taken out for 4th practice lap and went through speed trap at 123 mph ???? before it seized.
Two bikes broken, feeling sorry for myself and a VIP all you can eat and drink pass was what I decided to do. Ben Ludford with his most excellent machine who we had invited over for our show looked at me with disdain and announced he would strip both bikes and get one running again ready for F2 race. After getting "bladdered" I arrived back at our Marquee to find Ben knee deep in a sea of KR1-S parts, somehow he had cobbled together a bottom end from ours and his spare top end, changed all the ignition and put back std 28mm carbs. Ben is definitely "The Real Deal" and I must thank him and Zoey who allowed him time off from sightseeing to work his magic.
The race was a case of so near yet so far, Billy was on fire and went round on his standing start lap at 101.27 mph!!! that's 5 mph more than race bike however on 2nd lap he ran out of petrol. I had calculated (wrongly) that we would allow an extra litre per lap for his first 2 lap stint before refueling. Ben's rebuild was going so well that simply he used more gas, I apologized to everyone who would listen to me and at least the bike is still running. I must finish now as I am going to throw up again. Very special thanks to Ben and Billy who would go on to win 600 race.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Top-shaggy
Premix Junkie

Re: THE UPS AND DOWNS,DOWNS,DOWNS OF KR1-S AT CLASSIC TT 201

Post by Top-shaggy »

Great write up.. I was disappointed when it ended.
Are you doing it again next year? Hope so :)
If it takes more than 2strokes then your just playing at it..
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

You're most welcome Ronnie, we loved being over there with you and the team.
dirk
Heavy Smoker

Post by dirk »

a real shame.

but very brave of you to try it with the KR. =D>

my advice:
rather with slightly less power, but the driver put on a diet!
this brings on the mountain the best results :lol:

a serious question.
How did you prepared the fork?

cheers
Dirk
KR-1S 1990
RG500 1987
RGV 250 1992
TZR250 (2MA) 1987