Engine project

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
DougB
Oil Injector

Re: Engine project

Post by DougB »

All good so far! It runs, only had the 1 heat cycle because it won't stop bloody raining :evil: :evil: Soon as the roads dry enough I'll get chance to get some miles on it and book some dyno time.
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Bit more work done. Engine is run in and I've been doing some flying runs now, luckily nearby we have a stretch of old runway that's useable for testing as long as you know where to avoid the potholes and don't take the piss!

Everything seems to be fine. I reset the Zeel to default setting so PV's are opening at 6900, timing curve is:

Only initial problem is the power goes noticeably flat at 7 as the valves open, guessing they're a bit early, does anyone know when the valves open with the standard CDI? Anyway by 8 it's sorted itelf out and it pulls like hell till the rev limit calls time at 11000 ish.

I'm not going to play any more now. Next step is to take it to the Dyno and get it set up as best we can, then it'll be ready for Cadwell in July. After that I'm keen to get a set of 35's from BDK when the kit is ready, swap them over and get it back to the dyno to see what difference they make but that'll be a while yet I think, main thing is it's almost ready for another season :D

PS any news from the dyno it'll all get posted up.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Set your power valves up on the dyno.
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Luders wrote:Set your power valves up on the dyno.
Will do Ben, I was thinking a run with them shut then another with them open would show the best point for them to change. Having bit of an issue choosing a dyno, they're all very busy and one I won't name hadn't heard of a Zeeltronic ignition which is fair enough but it definitely won't be going there!
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Yeah 6900 is too early for the powervalves. Change it to nearer 8k and they will be about right.

11k tacho revs? That's probably about 10k real so the ignition curve needs some work.

Standard is 14 degrees at 11k by the way, not 11.5k.

Dan
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Depends how far you're willing to travel, but take a look at http://www.rtrmotorcycles.co.uk
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

maccas wrote:Yeah 6900 is too early for the powervalves. Change it to nearer 8k and they will be about right.

11k tacho revs? That's probably about 10k real so the ignition curve needs some work.

Standard is 14 degrees at 11k by the way, not 11.5k.

Dan
Hi Dan,

The graph I posted is a bit dodgy in setup, the 11k line is where the 14 degree point is not on the gridlines, the numbers on the X axis correspond to the centre of the column above. I just knocked it up the other week to compare curves and I'm not so hot on Excel.

When I put the motor This rebuilt motor in and started running it I set the Zeel back to how it arrived from Borut, the ignition map is the default and the valves were set to 6900 - 0, 7000 - 100 but there were other PV maps on it. Running the previous motor and at Cadwell last year I'd modified the ign and PV maps a lot and it was running well but this time I'll take it to the dyno as is and ask them to set the whole lot up.
Last edited by DougB on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Luders wrote:Depends how far you're willing to travel, but take a look at http://www.rtrmotorcycles.co.uk
Thanks Ben, willing to travel as far as needed and recommendations are always welcome (I remember you told me about SEP and their service was brilliant) I'll get in touch with RTR, see what can be done, basically anyone with good experience of KR's and Zeel ignitions is a good start!

Cheers.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

You are in good hands there, Dan Hegarty used to race a KR-1S.

http://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2015/ ... -campaign/
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Finally managed to get 100 miles on it so had time to recheck the head bolts & flywheel, in honesty just an excuse for some tinkering, nothing really needed doing.

Finding it hard to get time to get the bike to a dyno, spoke to Dan Heggarty and would love to get it down there but finding a full day to do it before the middle of June is pushing it. Locally there's Mick Abbey, seems to be well spoken of so I guess I'll have to decide soon. Anyway I followed Dans (Maccas) advice (thanks Dan, for that and the port timing info/gaskets etc! great help) and changed the valves from closed to open at 8000 and it's better, as a guess it's a big improvement until it can get it on the rolling road. At least it's running well, no issues and it'll pull to full rpm in top so I guess that's ok.
Last edited by DougB on Sun May 01, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

Doug that bike looks realy smart. Lets hope the rain stops and you can enjoy some great Sunny May evenings. It will be interesting to see how your engine mods pan out on the dyno.
Enjoy

Steve
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Well I finally managed to get it to a dyno, Mick Abbey gave up spent most of a day on it with me, did about 10 runs to try and improve it as we went along. Only problem was clutch slip at 10k, was better if the gearbox was up to full temp but as the graphs show it happened practically every run I think. Ordered a full new clutch so hopefully fit it and get another run sometime just to see what happens at the top end.. Have to say thanks and recommend Mick, helpful and happy to let me do as much as I wanted (even give it a run myself) talked through the problems and a friendly guy, I had a cracking day just playing around but we improved the engine as well so result all round!

First run of the day & compared to a different bike Mick tested last year:

Test run valves shut:

Tried valves open at 8k:

Best run with the valves settings sorted:

A run to test the zeel curves, Orange is default zeel map 1 and Black map 2, Default std did better:
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

are you still running standard pipes and carbs?
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Yep it's all standard except the mods inside the engine, and the Zeel.
Top-shaggy
Premix Junkie

Post by Top-shaggy »

May be worth using R clutch springs if you haven't already...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3893&p=92122&hilit= ... ngs#p92122
If it takes more than 2strokes then your just playing at it..