solo seat

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

Alanw, would be very interested in one, however got a couple of questions first, the 30mm you had to remove off the back is it just width or are you getting rid of length (the reason I ask is that if I wanted to return the bike to standard could I just bend the rails a bit to get them in, then bend back when done?) also I notice you have removed the footrest hangar rails will it fit with them still in place?
Cheers
AL
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
Darren
Oil Injector

Post by Darren »

How much do I need to extend the overdraft by ?
I like the look and would be very interested in one of those 8)

Darren
I'll just get me coat !
the kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the kid »

Fantastic work , looks great .
Having recently tried my hand at fibreglass for the first time , much respect to you .
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

well done that man...looks like you have yourself a few orders now....could also sell some on to the tuning works... :D :D
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

Hello again
Bear in mind that this was never thought of as a product for other people to buy. Therefore the R & D has been pretty sketchy, I was prepared to make it fit !, so until I fit it to the bike ?????..... I am trying at the moment to buy a second KR1S on the road partly to ride and partly to have a reference for what I'm mucking on with. Allimorg: good questions! this seat unit wouldn't interfere with the rear foot peg hangers so far, you can see by the pic where I've taken the 30mm out and welded, if the weld was re-cut with a hacksaw the seat frame would spring back to its original position. It doesn't look from the pic too difficult to replace the 30mm with a bracket using the two existing kawasaki holes.?? With the 30mm out the inner mud guard would need to be modified.Maybe spacers for the exhaust hangers But once I've made the new seat all this info may be redundant because it may possible to cut angles on the outside corners of the seat frame to gain 15mm either side and leave everything intact ( in the pic, the corners which have yellow paint on ). I'll keep you informed as it goes, but I wouldn't sell or give anyone one if I thought it was a pup. I may ask someone on the forum to guinea pig the seat for me if I don't get another bike.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb16 ... CN1267.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb16 ... CN1266.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb16 ... CN1265.jpg
Two in every one of us is Schiz-oo phrenic

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Gis the loan of your face I want to worry this rat
nickb.
Smoker

Post by nickb. »

Make it fit??? sounds normal practise to me, :wink: I'd still be interested even with the modding, as it looks so nice, shame I'm not near you, I'd be the test subject.. lol. :lol: :lol: :lol:
This week I've mainly been in the garage!!!!
Tofty
Smoker

Post by Tofty »

Hi Alan,
Im very interested in the seat unit for one of my projects as i think its a beautiful shape, the only problem is it wouldn't look right with the origional front fairing but thats the fault of fairing not the seat and i always thought it could do with a new, sharper nosed one.

For my project the seat unit seems perfect as is, as it takes the standard seat as well as the pad and modifying the rear frame wouldn't be a worry as my chassis will end being far from standard anyway due the fitting of a different engine.

I look forward to hopefully doing business with you in the future,
Tofty
KR1 - restoration project,
KR1 - KLR650 engined project bike
Dutton Phaeton s3 - restoration project
666damned
Oil Injector

Post by 666damned »

Looks a winner m8y..... 8)
if i dont get a decent rear seat plastic soon ...i'll be hounding you for one.... :lol: :lol:

Dave
alanw
Oil Injector

More done

Post by alanw »

Remember to use the scroll bar at the bottom.
These are the mods I've had to do to get where I am. Because the sub frame has to be narrowed at the back, the original guard has had to be narrowed to line up with its original bolt holes. I've marked where I've cut it, the other pictures show how it squeezes together, it's been glued with a fairing repair kit and sealed with black automotive silicone on the underside.
So as to keep the original seat pad resting on the sub frame rails, the frame has to be kept to its original width until behind the original seat pad position. I have made this bracket, which keeps the frame width but is also the right height to support the fibre glass seat in position,(there is a fair bit of pressure on it). The alloy bracket bolted to the end of the sub frame is temporary for me but it does work.
This is what it looks like together, the four brackets with 12mm holes in have been fitted later so as to fit an undertray.
This is the mould I had to make for the undertray.
An undertray off the mould.
An undertray fitted.
More pictures of the first seat out of the mould. I will be cutting the bottom of the original inner guard ( the flat peice with the rear caliper flexi hole in it off, but this is not neccessary)
To make this all as a kit would be silly expensive, but I have got 2 other fibre glass solo seats made ( no brackets or other conversions ) just the bear seat. I would sell these to a member, if he was in a position to fit it straight away, so I get some feed back. Please don't get one, hack your bike to bits, then not like it. They would cost £75.00 each plus postage, I would expect you to cover all postage but not the £75.00 until your happy with it. Please don't take the p***. This cost only covers my expenses but isn't a practical price to make many/any more. Including two gel coats, five coats altogether, 4 hours application time but 2/3 hours minimum up to an absolute max of 24 hours between coats and only one mould. So that's 16 hours min.
Ali is this the longest post ever.
Two in every one of us is Schiz-oo phrenic

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Gis the loan of your face I want to worry this rat
666damned
Oil Injector

Post by 666damned »

That looks the dogs danglies Al..... :D .....your thought and attention to the fitting is excellent,..if my bike was ready for one i would snap your hands off for one.... :lol: :lol: ...would make an excellent base for my paint scheme.....have you thought of taking it to a fairings manufacturer...because i think you've got a winner there m8y....once again well done..... 8) 8)

Dave
Tofty
Smoker

Post by Tofty »

Hi Alan,
the £75 inludes the undertray part also? im very interested in one of your seat units and have a bike im disassembling at the moment (just taken the fairing off) that is pretty much ready to start fitting on.
So if your interested let me know how much postage is and how/where to send it.
I look forward to doing business with you Alan,
Cheers,
Tofty

PS you mentioned before you needed to loose 30mm from the width of the back frame. i thought that since this box section is 20mm wide and it no longer has to support the weight of another person the box section itself can be cut away as even just one remaining side should support any lights/plate/seat unit itself. Or the repoved sections could be used for bracking inside the remaining metalwork. Just an idea but we will just have to wait and see.
KR1 - restoration project,
KR1 - KLR650 engined project bike
Dutton Phaeton s3 - restoration project
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

8) - lovely attention to detail
Smokings Good For You
alimorg
Site Admin

Re: More done

Post by alimorg »

alanw wrote:Ali is this the longest post ever.
Quite possibly - but well worth it - excellent job
Cheers
AL
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
frog32
Premix Junkie

Post by frog32 »

nice attention to detail :wink:
2 strokes our way of life :-)
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

Great work :D

Great price (for the lucky first few) sorry I cant buy one off you, maybe next year :roll: