solo seat

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Alan that seat units looks the dags bo**ocks, well done mate. Looking forward to seeing it on RC45 bike at Cadwell.

BTW if you feel you have a bit of spare time to help a beginner out I'm trying to do a new air box with the carbs fitted inside it (as per h***a RS250 GP bike) and an extention to the bottom of the Aprilla RS250 fairing that I am using. The airbox is the majoy job (the other is for looks only) and if you could help with a bit of advice on how to make moulds extra it would be a great help.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
rc46
Oil Injector

Post by rc46 »

LOL, "feedback in minutes" when i took it out the box, it looked awsome , just had to get it on, Unlike other aftermarket fairing this fits very very well there really is going to be a small amount of finishing. Ill try hard this weekend to get the fitting finished and then paint it during next week ready for cadwell. but im not an expert painter so will probally be one colour GREEN.

Thanks again Alan, =D>
1 x TDR250 Black
1 x TDR50 Blue
1 x TZR250 3MA
1 x TZ250 3YL
1 x TZ250 N (to be restored)
1 x TD3 (being rebuilt)
rc46
Oil Injector

Post by rc46 »

the-elf wrote: Looking forward to seeing it on RC45 bike at Cadwell.

Whos this RC45 bloke then..... :x how come he's got one tooo... :evil:

:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x TDR250 Black
1 x TDR50 Blue
1 x TZR250 3MA
1 x TZ250 3YL
1 x TD3 (being rebuilt)
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

rc46 wrote:
the-elf wrote: Looking forward to seeing it on RC45 bike at Cadwell.

Whos this RC45 bloke then..... :x how come he's got one tooo... :evil:

:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The rc 45 was the previous model to you. Total failure.......good looking.... well hung.... plenty of money....... lucky - but sadly not popular. So they reversed everything thus Rc 46 :lol: :lol:
Two in every one of us is Schiz-oo phrenic

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Gis the loan of your face I want to worry this rat
rc46
Oil Injector

Post by rc46 »

That must have been the model #-o Prior to KR ownership!

Probally had one of them 4 stroke things.....

:mrgreen:

\:D/ \:D/
1 x TDR250 Black
1 x TDR50 Blue
1 x TZR250 3MA
1 x TZ250 3YL
1 x TD3 (being rebuilt)
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

Elf where can I see a pic of the h***a airbox. Don't be put of but you need shed loads of patience . IN BRIEF :!: ,,,,, the fairing ext .I use 3mm artists card cut to what ever shape I want , say for a side then the other side then a btm leave them a tad bigger hold them together with masking tape. Then tape them to the fairing . A subservient wife comes in handy there. Now start refining your shape ,pencil pen remove cut curve the card refit & repeat as many times as needed.it should be 1-2 mm smaller in all dimensions than you want the finished piece to be. When your happy super glu the pieces together reinforce the back of the joints with filler keep checking it against the fairing spray paint it any colour "just to seal card best have the fairing off for the next bit wherever the ext is going to touch the fairing you must ensure that nothing can stick to it wax silicon ptfe etc lots of it .masking tape the card ext to the fairing in near perfect position," underneath". then cover the outside with filler ,level + a tad with the fairing then sand & shape.....Stay awake......paint it, it has to look like the finished piece that you would be happy to have ON your bike.
if your still interested you make a glass fibre mould of it. then a finished piece from the mould & refinish it Its taken me 25 hrs + to get to here. The cardboard facade .Got to make a mould of it then the piece
This will be destroyed getting it out of the mould & can still go wrong for lots of reasons ( start again ) .For chr**t's sake dont think i'm being a clever sh1te ,making it sound hard .But the seat unit took well over 100 hrs to get to here. ( facade ) The air box MAY :!: be easier as its not on show..................ps the fin on the ext is only there as a handle for me to work on it.

666damned
Oil Injector

Post by 666damned »

Can't fault your skills 'Alanw'
=D> =D> =D>
Tofty
Smoker

Post by Tofty »

Looks great but im finding it hard to visualise what it would look like on the bike. Look forward to some fitted pictures.

Using card would explain why the ilmor gp bike looked the way it did, they obviously didnt fancy all that filling and sanding.

I believe an air-box would be easier to mound as aesthetics is not an important issue and there are alot of flat surfaces but i couldnt pretend that it would actually be easy. Im also interested as to what the RS air-box looks like and what advantage having the carbs in the box give, is it mostly just increased airbox volume?
KR1 - restoration project,
KR1 - KLR650 engined project bike
Dutton Phaeton s3 - restoration project
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Tofty wrote:I believe an air-box would be easier to mound as aesthetics is not an important issue and there are alot of flat surfaces but i couldnt pretend that it would actually be easy. Im also interested as to what the RS air-box looks like and what advantage having the carbs in the box give, is it mostly just increased airbox volume?
The two advantages are that the carbs run at airbox pressure so no need to run the drain lines back into the airbox when you'r running an air ram system and secondly you have more volume of high pressure air.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

[quote="alanw"] .For chr**t's sake dont think i'm being a clever sh1te ,making it sound hard .quote]

I guessed it was gonna be a big job and trouble is I have the patience of a 2 year old in a sweet shop. This is my planned winter project so I'm not in a rush ATM. I know in my mind what I want so I just need to turn it into reality.

Thanks for the info.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
rc46
Oil Injector

Post by rc46 »

Okay, The rear SEAT unit WILL be at Cadwell park. Painted and installed as it should. Still havent decided on the rear sub frame weather to cut those foot rest hangers off!!

Alan, You may have seen my other post for Paint help? Well i decided against the idea, I went to see someone today Who paints Lotus cars etc and hes gona do the KAWA green for me as a test run to see how it looks.. as he hasnt done bike bits before and is thinking of starting.

What he did say was its one of the best finished bits of glass he has seen, He was happy that there is next to no work required to make it ready for paint, he did find a ripple :shock: :shock: using his fingers but you CANT Fu*((ing see it, Said its where you have made the join down the middle.. :D But as a whole he thought your work was exelent. Now considering he works with glass all the time on the lotus cars i think thats a big compliment.

Have you decided if your gona make any more? Im sure when the forum members see the unit at cadwell or the pics of it finished your gona have a que of people! Its a shame its on a Tatty ol race bike,, But have no fear Next year it wont even look like the same bike... and should make your tail look even better!
1 x TDR250 Black
1 x TDR50 Blue
1 x TZR250 3MA
1 x TZ250 3YL
1 x TD3 (being rebuilt)
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

Hello Rc, A pro paint job will make it ............Get 666 dave to make some shadowed No's like this. :?: .....but ( rc 46 ) small rc BIG 46
This is what i'm loosely basing mine on, especially the paint & grafix .Best looking moto gp bike I've seen. :!:
Elf, I'd still like a look at this air box. I can get carbon fibre local now never played with it before .How about bushed carbon fibre kips pulleys :shock: ](*,) :lol:

the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

alanw wrote: Elf, I'd still like a look at this air box. I can get carbon fibre local now never played with it before .How about bushed carbon fibre kips pulleys :shock: ](*,) :lol:
I'll have a look to see if I can fin a photo. Carcbon fibre pullies sound great btw.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
rc46
Oil Injector

Post by rc46 »

Okay, lacking some stickers at the mo. painter again said he is very impressed, he heats the glass so that any air imperfections come out they then get filled and re finished and painted. He found NONE... :lol: he kept commenting on how good it was.

Anyway here is the finished item, I had to take a few more mm of the back of the frame as the rubber im using to pretect the inside of the fairing is thick.

Again Alan you have done a fab Job,

1 x TDR250 Black
1 x TDR50 Blue
1 x TZR250 3MA
1 x TZ250 3YL
1 x TD3 (being rebuilt)
Darren
Oil Injector

Post by Darren »

Looking nice RC you must be well chuffed =D> However I'm just a bit jealous.

Darren
I'll just get me coat !