Swamp Thing - KR1 Track Bike

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Re: Swamp Thing - KR1 Track Bike

Post by Gerrit »

As "Swamp Bike" is to be a track bike where 100% originality is (presumably) not an issue, wouldn't 1S wheels be a better choice as they have wider rims? They may also be easier to find than 1 wheels. Just a thought.
"Mine is a long and sad tale", said the mouse.
"Indeed it is", said Alice, looking at the mouse's tail.
DeadHammer
Heavy Smoker

Post by DeadHammer »

Good suggestion thanks Gerrit - and an option I still might go for but I'm a bit of a purist so, even though the bike is likely to see the track most of the time, I'd still like it to ride and handle like a KR1. It's for this reason I'm also putting KR1 cylinders on and in standard sizes. I may change my mind later (once I've ridden it) but for now I was going to try and keep it relatively standard. Either way the bike is likely to handle well enough for me and my abilities. :lol:

I do have a KR1S (with wheels) which I'm also restoring but I'm trying not to steal too much from it otherwise I'll never get that one done either..
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

If it is any help;

The wheels from a ZXR250 (1989 and 1990) are the same as KR-1S, so that may widen your scope if you decide to go that way.

I think the wheels from a ZX-4 (1988) are the same size as KR-1S (they used the same size tyres as KR-1S), but are 3-spoke like the KR-1 wheels. It is likely that they could be fitted without too much drama.

Regards,
James
DeadHammer
Heavy Smoker

Post by DeadHammer »

As per Gerrit's suggestion i have decided to go down the KR1S wheel route (for now) but am in need of the following parts if anyone can help out?

KR1 rear wheel spindle and nut,
KR1 chain adjusters
KR1 swingarm nut (i have the spindle itself)
KR1/KR1S left hand riders foot peg (with pin,spring, collar etc.) - I have the hanger
KR1/KR1S throttle cable (mine is shagged)

Also - is no-one else heading to Cadwell on the 24th/25th June? It seems awfully quiet around here lately!

Cheers

Dave
Last edited by DeadHammer on Fri May 19, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeadHammer
Heavy Smoker

Post by DeadHammer »

Will get some more pictures up shortly with progress so far..
DeadHammer
Heavy Smoker

Post by DeadHammer »

Getting there!..
DeadHammer
Heavy Smoker

Post by DeadHammer »

Well after a productive weekend of tinkering, and subject to a few items arriving in the post, i should have a running KR1 by Thursday of this week. To say I'm excited is an understatement!

I'm still missing a few bits but hopefully i should be able to work around this with some bodging namely:-

KR1 fairing brackets
KR1 Swingarm spindle
KR1 chain adjusters.

Also - does anyone have any idea what this is as it's the only part I haven't managed to identify?

DeadHammer
Heavy Smoker

Post by DeadHammer »

One of the problems i had is the squish was only .6mm which, from reading around on the forum, is way to tight. I'm guessing whoever has owned the bike before me had the head milled down.

Am I right in thinking that the general consensus for a reasonable squish is .75 - .85mm? The combustion chamber profile itself is standard jusging by the cast marks.

Solder taped to piston just before measuring: -

I've ordered various base gaskets from Dan (aka The Gasket Guru) so that I can get it something like..
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

absolute minimum is 1% of the stroke, so 0.6mm is ok, but tolerance is very limited. to be more on the safe side, I always aim for 0.7 but am happy if the outcome is somewhere between 0.65 and 0.75.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
DeadHammer
Heavy Smoker

Post by DeadHammer »

Thanks Janbros - will stick the .15mm on top of the existing gasket which should give me .75mm. Just putting oils and coolant in now! Happier than a pig in sh*t! 😊
DeadHammer
Heavy Smoker

Post by DeadHammer »

Anyone have any idea what the pipe above is for? It may not even be for a KR1/KR1S as there was all manner of cr*p in the boxes of bits..

Hoping to start her up on Thursday night - will try and post a video of our efforts for those that are interested.