KR1-S restoration

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
Bonneville

Re: KR1-S restoration

Post by Bonneville »

Yes, I like that look. The shortening of the side panels/tail is genius. I have the MC21 fairing as I replaced it wth Tyga on mine:-

I might try the Tyga nose on the KR when it's next off the bike.
Bonneville

Post by Bonneville »

The rear master cylinder was seized so I stripped it and it needed a rebuild kit. This was £22 so I thought I'd try one of those Chinese universal ones of E-bay as an experiment:-

This cost £9.95 posted from the Netherlands and the mounting dimensions matched. It's basically a copy of the original and all I needed to do was drill (7.5mm) and tap (M8x1.25) the mounting holes and cut the actuator rod down to match the original.
Comes with a matching cup:-

It bled very quickly with good pressure. Could even be used as a cheap rebuild kit for just the internals:-

I've had variable experiences with Chinese copy stuff but I think it's getting better. Shame they don't do fairing bits for the KR1 as that stuff is pretty good nowadays.
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

That looks pretty good from the outside, I had the same problem, one piston seized and the forked adaptor bent out of shape, got a complete rebuild kit including these parts, but....it didn't fit.

Got a link to yours, as I might buy one and fit a replacement rebuild kit that they swapped it for (minus a few parts)
Bonneville

Post by Bonneville »

Yes, it's here:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Mot ... SwZQxW4S0E

Cheaper than I thought, £8.59 :)
pookie
Oil Injector

Post by pookie »

Those bloody Chinese copy everything, have you seen some of the cars they clone like the Range Rover Evoque and the Mini, even weirder is that when land rover and Bmw complained to the Chinese government the reply was that they couldn't see any similarity in the cars at all! [-X
Bonneville

Post by Bonneville »

Yes, it's true. Anyone who can stump up for a 3D scanner and a bank of CNC kit can copy anything nowadays. You can see that they have got the mounting hole centres offset but the distance between them correct. That is a classic result of 3D scanning.
What amazes me is that they can do this stuff for less than the materials would cost me here. The alloy is a decent grade, the piston is stainless and the rubber components are good. I'd be out £20 for that lot before I started (manually) machining it. They can do this for less than a tenner and ship it as well.
But, as the man said in the film "A guy who makes a nice chair doesn't owe money to everyone who has ever built a chair".
mavesyn

Post by mavesyn »

Cracking build. any pictures of it finished......
Bonneville

Post by Bonneville »

Thanks! Nearly finished. Just need to paint the mudguard and find a chainguard:-

And a video of it running here:-

https://vimeo.com/175693409
c&c
Heavy Smoker

Post by c&c »

What a fantastic job..
I"ll take the wine,you can have the bread.