shinyness :mrgreen:

another friday night in the garage

94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

I seem to miss lots of posts!!!!, probly my fault.. Anyway black & polished ally always look good. It's always nice to get the wheels in ,even if its not permanent. What you got for a fairing ETC. Alan.
Two in every one of us is Schiz-oo phrenic

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Gis the loan of your face I want to worry this rat
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

yeah makes it more of a bike rather than a pile of bits.

as for bodywork i got a set of standard bodywork but i fancy modding the from to take a single headlight sorta like the endurance racers of old but not sure... as yet
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

oooops not quite sure how i managed to talk myself into aquiring this:

:shock:

but collected last night for a good price.
looks to be all there.

hopefully motor and more importantly the crank is ok.
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

Could you take another photo in daylight please? :)

That looks a result (maybe), another one saved; well done.

Mike
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

its all there tank etc is in the background.

daylight pics might be a while coming as i dont go down to where its stored in the day at the moment.

as for its condition the pastics are rough, (tail pieces looks undamaged plus the inspection panels)
Pipes look VERY good.

not really checked it over properly yet, the clocks on show 18K and the engine and leccy's are all wired up so i recon its just been parked up and left so with any luck it be ok.

I brought it as a source of spares for my other one, so i will just end up with a complete rolling KR1 chassis which i could you for any stroker if time and money permits, tho i have had ideas about bolting a big single into it but that is just a pipe dream.

More than likely if both my engine and this ones are good and the cranks are not mullered it will possibly be put back on the road.
so yes another one saved to some extent it will live on :)
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

well progress has been slow most of the leccies are now in and been looking at the brakes.......

looks like it has had some attention recently as they split easily and the two rubber seals on the side of the calipers are ok and pistions are a bit iffy on a couple of the faces possibly damage from grips i expect.

so a quick lick of paint and we see how they look, providing everything in good nick they should be fine

i do appear to have a Nissin master cylinder might even be radial as its not mounted above the the lever but in line with the lever...

would this affect the calipers in anyway, being as the bike was an ex racer i dont know if the current setup was used in anger?

(some pics to follow)
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

Original calipers are fitted at present to test whether they are up to the job.
if not i have shall have to sort someting else (i will be in touch soon Ali :) )

basically at the stage where i can start to clean the engine up and get that somewhere handy for fitting.

recieved my F3 Valves from Charles (top Chap) so these will be tucked away for when i can find a home for them. As im sure i need to mod the 1 Barrels to make the most of them, so that be save for when i rebuild the engine.

Also going to be taking the Chain slipper into work and seeing if i can get something made out of plastic to replicate what it does, i will know more in the week if its going to be feasable.
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

been busy with an RGV swinger, and it looks like the chain slipper could be a good match. haven't got a KR-swinger lying arround for a quick test, but they are both 6cm thick .
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

some progress on it.....

bit of a poor picture but the motor is heading in the correct direction, no blasting at this stage just some manual labour with the wirewool and autosol....

hoping to have it in over the xmas period in between eating vast amounts of turkey and the like
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

Attempting to resurrect the project been about 6 months since any meaningful progress... :oops:

since this my 1st major project how do people suggest picking where to start again?

basically its a rolling chassis with dash and some electric's fitted and that is about it.
rest of bike is in boxes....
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

SHimmer45 wrote:since this my 1st major project how do people suggest picking where to start again?
If the engine is ready, bolt it in. I say this because it really does make it start to look like a proper bike (rather than a pile of bits) and will give you a sense of accomplishment along with some motivation to get it finished, or at least it kinda did for me, until the project stalled yet again while moving house (but I got it finished.... kinda..... in the end).
Also, posting up some current pics will also help as then we can all start putting extra pressure on you to get this or that sorted. We're a helpful bunch like that. :wink:
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Sounds perfect. I would start by cleaning the frame or getting it painted if required.

Is there any work required for the engine to see it running?
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

@luders: frame wheels and swinger are all powder coated new bearings etc.

the Engine was a runner when i got the project a few years ago, been stored since then, i just turn it over now and again and squirt oil/wd40 down the bores to keep things moving
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor