KR1 (the ebay collection continues)

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

KR1 (the ebay collection continues)

Post by ScottaKR »

Well, 2 days after putting a wanted add on here for a KR1, I found one on fleabay located just 20mins from home. :shock:
So I had a look.

The top end was wrecked after the R/H piston had grabbed, gouging the bore badly and trashing the combustion chamber (and he'd broken a power valve taking the head off #-o ). The rest of the bike, while complete (ish) was in a pretty sad looking state (the fairings had been sprayed with pressure pack paint I think).

Ended up getting the thing for $500au

On the back of my mates ute \:D/
It did come with a tank after all :lol:
These might come in handy at some stage

This is probably going to be a track bike for a while, but will most likely find it's way onto the road eventually. :mrgreen:
Plans include a 300cc rebuild, rebuilt forks (or maybe ZXR400), prehaps the R6 shock conversion, full respray (thinking all green with polished rims), and all the other little things that need fixing.
Last edited by ScottaKR on Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

fair bit of work to do but looks a good starting point - and price :)

can you get bits easily over there?
Smokings Good For You
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

they're not as common over here, so parts arn't as easy to come by.
Will probably be importing some parts like the custom machined powervalves Mr B is getting done. The most expensive bit will be getting the barrels bored & replatted, followed buy the pistons for the 300cc conversion I'd think.
Panel and paint is the easiest/cheapest thing for me to get done, as my mate is a spray painter, and already has a litre of Kawasaki green that I can have. :mrgreen:
I wont be rushing the rebuild, as I have other things to finish off first. So I can slowly gather parts as they come up at the right price (hopefully).
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Well, picked up another 1 and a 1/2 KR1's on fleabay, so now should have enough bits to build 2 stock KR1's for the road (my mate wants 1 too now after I showed him a pick of Martins beutiful bike #-o ), and 1 tuned KR1 for the track.

The latest additions are a bit of a mess to say the least, and will keep me busy for quite a while. I still want to track down some more barrells (preferably ones that dont need re-plateing [-o< ) along with at least 1 head and some powervalves etc for 1 of the stock bikes.

there's also most of the plastics and tanks for both bikes, and a box of bits as well.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Finally had a chance to play around today. So, I made the most the oppertunity and ripped the stuffed motor out of the yellow bike and replaced it with the motor from the dismantled KR1 I bought from Dave the other week.
After giving the rolling frame a quick pressure wash, I put in the good motor, and proceeded to chase electrical gremlins. After changing almost every electrical component (apart from engine components), it turned out to be a problem in the wiring harness which I swapped out as well. The first start took about 3 kicks but only ran on 1 cylender and feul started pissing from the carbs. Pulled the carbs apart, quick cleanout of the passages, and it started first kick and and ran like a dream. It sounded so sweet through the 1-S pipes (and an open airbox 8) ) as I gave it a quick rev :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Still got a lot to do before it's ready for the track, but getting it running has certainly helped with the motivation.
The plan is to put it together as an intermediate track bike so I can get a feel for things while I take my time building the special. That one will get an RGV 17" rear wheel, R6 rear shock, R1 USD front (with custom adjustable rake triple clamps), tuned motor (Keeping it @ 250cc), hopefully source some PWK35's for it, and fit some heavily customised fairings from various donor bikes. Once the special is ready (may take a while), the intermediate bike will get a good resto and go back on the road.

Well, that's the plan anyway......
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)