KR1s-500

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
r1-daz
Smoker

KR1s-500

Post by r1-daz »

[/img]
Hi,just joined but have been watching from the side lines for quite a while now.Thought it was time to share my KR1s 500 project with you.
Its been planned in my head for the past 10 years but only got started 2 years ago.I've spent the past 2 years looking for a decent KX500 motor but gave up and bought a CR500 motor last week instead,now i know JanBros is building one with a KX500 lump but the CR500 is more of an animal due to having no powervalve system(i should know i had one and it gave me sleepless nights [-o< )I must add at this point that i work for a motorsport company making parts for F1 cars and WRC so i have access to every CNC machine known to man :shock: ,what a lucky git they all shout! :mrgreen:
I've taken a photo of it so far but can't get it to upload so any advice would be appreciated.
i'll keep you posted on the progress of the KR1s 500
Cheers Daz
Start The Ambulance Racing Team
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

im sure ive posted this before but...
first go to www.photobucket.com sign up (its free)then upload your photos..then click img under the picture you uploaded then paste the img into your post on this site....hope it helps... :D
and welcome to the forum... :D
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Re: KR1s-500

Post by JanBros »

r1-daz wrote:[/img]
I've spent the past 2 years looking for a decent KX500 motor but gave up and bought a CR500 motor last week instead,now i know JanBros is building one with a KX500 lump but the CR500 is more of an animal due to having no powervalve system

I whish :(

I haven't got any further than collecting bits (should have enough to build it, except I can't find anybody on evil bay that sell's some extra free time :D ) , but first I have to finish the SV-project.

can't wait to see what you've done with it 8) , to bad you couldn't find a KX engine, then I just had to ask you how to do it in stead off figuring out everything myself :-k
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
col
Premix Junkie

Post by col »

hello mate and welcome aboard.
like you i also have access to all types of cnc machinery, I havent got a flip
clue how they work but i have access :lol:
r1-daz
Smoker

KR1s-500

Post by r1-daz »

Thanks for the help,i've had a go so hopefully it works.(sorry the photo was taken at night but it was the only chance i had.)
As you can see not a lot of progress in 2 years but after xmas the engine is going in.At the moment the engine looks like it was painted by Stevie Wonder or Ray Charles because its all different colours and even the spark plug got painted(some people #-o )but it will be stripped and dressed properly!
I can't decide whether to make a cradle like an RGV250 to support the engine or drop 2 spars down at the front to hold the front mount,obviously using the rear mount and a head support as well.
As you can see an underseat exhaust is in the making,plus i,ve made a tank breather and moved the steering damper mount forward to do away with the standard fixing kit(ugly thing)
Paint job will be a Kork Ballington/Anton Mang replica.I'll keep you all posted with the progress as it develops.
Thanks Daz
Image[/img]
nate
Heavy Smoker

Post by nate »

cool... This may be of interest... dont know if you have seen it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojeq3iu4HrY

cheers

Nate
r1-daz
Smoker

Post by r1-daz »

I hadn't seen it but i had heard about it ,thanks for that.
I built a Barry Sheene replica RG500 in the early '90s which sounded just like that(music to your ears!!)
I actually don't like that paint job, i'm thinking more of the KR250/350 of the late 1970's(lime green with a white stripe down the centre of the bike).
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

r1-daz wrote:I actually don't like that paint job, i'm thinking more of the KR250/350 of the late 1970's(lime green with a white stripe down the centre of the bike).
There's a few KR racer pics on MY SITE, and I've got loads more at home if you're stuck. :)
Kawasaki KR250 Tandem Twin (x4) & KS-II 80,
Yamaha RD350LC,
Suzuki GSX-R750RK & RB50 Gag.
r1-daz
Smoker

Post by r1-daz »

Excellent thanks.
I've put Kork Ballingtons autobiography on my xmas list so there should be quite a few piccys in there,i hope!
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

r1-daz wrote:Excellent thanks. I've put Kork Ballingtons autobiography on my xmas list so there should be quite a few piccys in there,i hope!
Yes there are, including one of me ! :wink: 8)
Yamaha RD350LC,
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

StrokerBoy wrote:
r1-daz wrote:Excellent thanks. I've put Kork Ballingtons autobiography on my xmas list so there should be quite a few piccys in there,i hope!
:shock: Now your just showing off Tim :roll: :lol:
=D> =D>
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
nate
Heavy Smoker

Post by nate »

StrokerBoy wrote:
Wow... You have to tell the story now! How? Why? etc...
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

nate wrote:Wow... You have to tell the story now! How? Why? etc...
Click here :oops:
Yamaha RD350LC,
kieran

Post by kieran »

A fella in NZ built a beastie like this using an aircooled KX500 engine and a RGV chassis. He used the stock alloy subframe. It didn't last two laps.

He built a steel subframe instead. Alloy caries the vibrations a lot more than steel- the weight of steel has a damping effect.

Another fella was building one with an NSR250 MC28 SP chassis (single sided swinger model) and a watercooled KX motor, but he's gone to 600's and has the motor on www.trademe.co.nz.

I Myself am building one out of an Aprilia RS250 ('98 ) chassis and a 96 (watercooled) KX motor.
I have the motor, exhaust, electrics, chassis etc. All I need is to put my NSR MC16 back together and sell it so I'll have room to build the beast... :twisted: