PISTONS

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

erm im going to sit this one out.................

questions anwsered thanks chaps...
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

the coating will probably be teflon but it only lasts for 50-100mls to help the running in....think ill put my two peneth in......
i agree totally with alimorg.........ill let this explain why you only need em in an f1 car....

this is the link but thought i'd put the last bit up...
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... stons.html

Summary
To sum up, the cast piston is light and very dimensionally stable. It is found in high-rpm mass-produced engines that are not subject to modification or prone to detonation. The piston is however fairly brittle, and the cost of its manufacture has limited its availability outside the OEM sources and applications. On the other hand, the forged piston is inherently heavy and less dimensionally stable. It is a good choice for engines in which detonation is probable, and its wide availability has made it the choice of engine modifiers. The special demands of these end users has given the forged piston its own niche in the powersports market. The next time someone tells you how superior one piston type is over another, tell them the truth.

Most forged pistons are quality products, but they are better suited to racing and professional applications. :D
ps...capitals r like shouting all the time...hold ctrl and press + a few time to enlarge the print if you cant see...or go to specksavers... :lol:
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

slap a barrel on and no-one will know anyway :?
Smokings Good For You
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

@ alimorg : where do you buy a casted piston for 50 euro's :?: , 'cause I've paid my Woesnners only 100 euro/piece.

I think everybody agrees that Wiseco makes very good pistons, according to the Belgian Wiseco importer, Woesnners are better :idea:

I have mine now over half a year, and I'm very happy with them : they still look brand new 8) (which is quite normal since they are still in the box, waiting for my cranck :mrgreen: )
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

Jan, 100 euros is about £75 piston kits from PJ engineering are £43

http://www.pjme.co.uk/acatalog/KR1S.html

Cheers
Al
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

ok :D
the kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the kid »

JanBros wrote:
I have mine now over half a year, and I'm very happy with them : they still look brand new 8) (which is quite normal since they are still in the box, waiting for my cranck :mrgreen: )
:lol: ROFLF Nice one Jan .
My new pistons are to be Woesner . Hope the plater knows about forged v cast :shock:
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

finaly had an answer from the Wiseco-guy (he works for HRC to, and was away for testing).

my translation :

one could fill a book about the differance between forged and casted, but these days, the difference isn't big anymore.
20 years back, was somthing different, the difference was huge since techniques were not as they are now. these days pistons are casted under presure, which makes them more homogeneous (? "solid"). but that offcourse is the biggest advantage off a forged one, it is even more homogeneous.
so these days, modern piston's, forged or casted, don't have a lot off differences in use, tolerance,..., except maybe the price :lol: