I've started so I'll finish

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
pablo
Premix Junkie

I've started so I'll finish

Post by pablo »

This is it I've started.After talking about it in the pub for three years its finally happening the restoration of our KR1s.It was prompted when a friend turned up on his newly restored 350lc,the sound and the smell of it just did the trick.

Up till now its just been taking it to bits and storing the parts sorting out whats worth keeping and what needs to be replaced,and trying to ignore the pound note signs that pop into your head while you work.

I want to get the frame,swinging arm and wheels repainted and then rebuild the rolling chasssis.Any advise on paint will be great.

The body work needs some repairs and a full repaint,the rear shock is a right mess,the motor is my main concern it had four broken KIPS vaves and all the other gubbins is missing the barrells look ok but the top end is going to be renewed and I'm going to get some advise on the bottom end.

I could go on but a few photos will do.
by the way Ive tiddied the bench up since I took the photos

Cliff
Premix Junkie

Post by Cliff »

Good luck mate. Get her finished.
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

looking at the base gaskets/copius amount of gasket bond it may of been rebuilt shortly before it was layed up. the corrosion on the bare ally ie engine is caused by damp etc and could easily of developed in storage (leaky shed etc). it looks like a spot on project as all the fundamentals are there and corrosion aside it looks to be in honest cond. a veypour blaster will transform all the alloy into something akin to that on wakisaki/martins gleaming bikes. stick at it and you will have a fast(er) stroker than yer mates mint lc plus all the kicks of supersports 250's of the 80's/90's. the bonus is how cheap bits are for the kr compared to those of the lc. up to 400 quid for genuine pro-am fairing fopr the 31k (first powervalve)!!! bodywork for the kr is steep mind but you have all that in easy repairable nick!
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Just got my frame and swingingarm back from the powder coaters looks mint.
Ive stripped the forks,stripped and polished the fork bottoms and ordered new fork stantions,seals etc from Kawasaki Newcastle.I was going to have my fork stantions reground and rechromed but decided to order new,the new stantions were a bit more expensive than the recon option,but this way I've still got the old ones as spares just in case :-k .

I've ordered new bearings and sveeves for the swingarm.The stuff that came oot was absolutely shagged,and I could'nt find bearings to fit anywhere other than through Kawasaki.

I thought the rear shock was a right off but a friend put me in touch with a chap that used to work for Ohlins and he worked magic on it.Its been totally rebuilt he made a new rod for the centre,rebushed and regassed its almost like new :D .
While I'm waiting for the stuff to come from Kawasaki Newcastle I'm going to sort oot some bits to get replated and try and sell some non KR bits n peices to pay for this little adventure :roll:

alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

I was in Kawasaki Newcastle on sat for bits. He said he had just ordered stanchions for a KR1S + parts for someone Else's, so that's 3 of us north of Yorkshire. Looks like your taking the rebuild seriously. Excellent !!
Alan.
Two in every one of us is Schiz-oo phrenic

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Gis the loan of your face I want to worry this rat
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Yep Alan I'm hoping to have a nice KR1S at the end,but I know now that it's going to take a lot longer than I thought and I've had to seriously revise my cost estimate.I'm not going to let that spoil the job though,just means I'll take my time and get stuff done when I can.

So it might be a while before I get up to hartside on it,but I will.
thefallenangel
Heavy Smoker

Post by thefallenangel »

any mods coming in or just a rebuild as standard?
2 Strokes are like women.

When they work they are the funnest things in the world but when they don't work they are a drain on your wallet.
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

I think the only mod I'll be making will be t me wallet mate.

Standard this time but what Ive seen on the forum has givin us a few idea's :-k Some really nice stuff :mrgreen:
duncanoakes
Smoker

Post by duncanoakes »

Hi pablo,

i've been thinking about having my frame and swingarm tarted up, I just wondered who did the work for you,
i live in yorkshire but work in wallsend and have spoken to a few coaters local to where i work
who ever has done your frame seems to have done a really good job
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Hi Duncan,I took it to Romax(UK) in Stockton on tees.A friend recomended them and I'm not disapointed.I'm going to take the wheels there too.The powdercoat finish isnt as standard its a bit too shiney,but I'm happy to live with that.

If you're travelling up the A19 it would only be a five minute detour,they're just off Portrack lane in Stockton their number is 01642 619196. regards
Paul
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

While searching for a chain slipper I found a couple of indicators from a zxr400h they're a lot shorter than the standard KR ones but look a lot neater.any thoughts :?:

KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

looks good
.. Image ..
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

More modern ! Alan
Two in every one of us is Schiz-oo phrenic

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Gis the loan of your face I want to worry this rat
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Nowt much happening with the wee KR1S at the minute,head gasket went on the van and sucked up some of the funds :( The electroplaters are holding the job up a bit too.So I thought some of you might like to see our wee girls big sisters.Not strokers but the're kawasakis

pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Here is a pic of our KR1S making slow but steady progress.More or less a rolling chassis I put the wheels in just so they where in a sale place cos I'm waiting for new front and rear discs,refurbed the front ones but decided to replace them as the're right on the limit 4.1mm.Also ordered kits for front and rear master cylinders and all three calipers.

Once I've got a braking rolling chassis it'll be time to start on the motor have'nt touched that yet other than to take the top end off for a quick inspection.I knew it had no kips valves or pulleys when we bought it but it was going to be broken untill sentiment played a part in deciding its fate.I've got a couple of valves thanks to corky and I've found some useable pulley parts in a box of bits,still need two valves,left hand kips pulleys/rod,centre conecting rod tho,and where will I get sproket carrier studs :?: the old one turned out with the nuts cos the were so corroded and the anti vibe bushes that go in the bottom exhaust mounting bracket :?:

Still lovin it.