1989 kr1 with kr1s bits and bobs

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

crank returned from grampian today, all sorted, had to put a new centre shaft in from bdk engineering, bearings had done their usual trick of spinning on the centre shaft wearing it away, have been meticulously matching the barrels to the cases, waiting for my jb weld to arrive in the post and then i'll be filling up the voids in the cases, hopefully will have engine rebuilt by the weekend, well the bottom end anyway
maccas
Oil Injector

finally got some more done

Post by maccas »

since i've been snowed in over the past week i cracked on with filling up the crankcases while i'm at home from uni for xmas, nearly there now, just got a few more holes to fill and a couple of pin holes to go back over, looking forward to getting it all back together for the summer

next job is the square channels in the top of where the reed block plate meets the crankcase

thats what is inscribed on my barrels and head, would people say that thats stan stephens st III?

maccas
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Wow you have been busy,something I could be doing while I'm saving for a crank rebuild.Good job.
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

had a week on the bike as i had some time off from uni, i purchased some steel powervalves a while back so thought i would modify them to f3 spec

kips passages before:

and after dremel treatment:

finished off filling the crankcases:

fitted my rebuilt crank: (thanks to grampian for top service)

maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

got the engine pretty much built up minus a set of new pistons:

so once i've bought pistons they will get fitted

i managed to break on of my kips levers being a rough arse twit so i need to get another one sorted, but that can wait till summer, after having a good look at the way the kips valves operate i think i might try and change the way they work, as far as i can tell it would be better (especially with f3 type valves) if the valve at the resonant chamber side of the cylinder rotated in the opposite direction to the one at the other side of the cylinder, then each cylinder would have 'left' and 'right' handed valve and the kips ports would flow much better in my opinion, because at the moment the valve closest to the centre of the bike opens the wrong way, leaving a very similar situation to round slide carburettors where the port is straight then has the cylindrical hole to navigate then straight again, might cause more turbulence than necessary, just my perception on things anyway, i will have a fiddle in the summer.

i noticed my cylinder head doesnt have a thermostat fitted, will i be ok to run it like this or should i get one fitted?

until next time.........................
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Looking good there maccas. Very nice woork on the cases. 8)
I'd be getting a new thermostat for it personally. Without one it will take longer to warm up to the correct operating temp, and the temp will not be as stable, which seems to have a large effect on performance (I know it does on mine anyway).
Last edited by ScottaKR on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

cheers :) i will try and get a thermostat sorted then for when i'm back in summer, my tzr is the same it goes much better when at the right temp
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

excellent photos
and you are correct about the rotation of the valves and effects
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

finally got round to doing some more work on the bike, i bought a spare engine off ebay because it was cheap a few months back and it has some barrels that have been modified by bdk with welding across the back to strengthen them, the plating doesn't look too good though so i think i will get them replated for future use, the ports look to have been opened up a fair bit too so will be interesting to see what it goes like with those on in the future

anyway i have sussed how to change the way the powervalves work so that the left and right powervalve in each barrel turn in opposite directions, to try and improve flow into the exhaust port

i know it won't make much difference but i figured every little helps, it is really simple to do, the cables need swapping from left to right and the two central powervalve pulleys need a locating hole drilling perpendicular to the original mounting hole, the linkages need to be length adjustable so that it can be finely tweaked but it seems to work ok

maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

oh and i know that the steps between the powervalve and port are huge, they are kr1 barrels and i couldn't get my dremel in far enough to open them out much more, it will be ok for now lol
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

finally got some more done on the bike, had the frame and a few other bits and bobs powdercoated, i will be taking the bike back to uni with me to work in while i am down in bristol, powdercoating was £85 for everything in pictures, powder and paint in east cottingwith, yorkshire would recommend them, very quick turnaround

Tambo
Heavy Smoker

Post by Tambo »

8) 8) Very nice !!

Are your kipps links alluminium rod ends ? Where did you find them ? I've got plastic ones to go on, but ally would be better :D
Kr1s c3, vfr750fg, Dnepr MT11, Pegaso 650
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

hi yes they are aluminium, i'm afraid they came with the bike, the person i bought it off said his friend who was a toolmaker made them for him, i'm sure plastic will be fine

are you using remote control car tie rods?

maccas
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

got a bit of progress done on the bike

just need a few bits to get a bit further:

-kr1s rear wheel spindle and wheel spacers
(just fitted kr1s swingarm and obviously kr1 rear wheel spindle is too short)

-wiring loom clips that attach the loom to the frame

till next time
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

Thats looking good Maccas,

Have you got a contact number for the guys who did your powder coating, I've been looking for a local company for some time now but its difficult to know who to trust.

Do they do blasting too?