1989 kr1 with kr1s bits and bobs

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

It is looking good maccas.I don't know how you've wrestled it all together on the garage floor =D>
"Turned out nice again"
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

hi howie

yep their address and telephone number is:

Powder & Paint
Manor Farm, Green Lane, East Cottingwith
York
YO42 4TT

01759 318998

they haven't done a perfect job, there is a tiny little bit of what look like air bubbles on the frame, but for the money i can't complain, yes they blasted the frame first and they do lots of different colours

pablo,
i put the frame upside down to put the engine in which worked quite well, same with the swingarm and shocker etc.
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

Cheers Maccas, I think for the money the paint job looks good.

And its got to be cheaper than buying the paint to do it yourself?

I'll give em a shout & post the pics on here.

Cheers fella,
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

finally got a bit more done to the bike, got it rolling now

jobs to do are:

-polish fork legs
-drill out kr1 speedo drive so that it fits kr1s front spindle (doh)
-get a longer powervalve cable made up so that it will work now that i've changed the powervalve sequence
-paint a few things here and there
-route all the cables and electrics properly through the frame

can't wait to hear it running again

until next time
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Looking good, when do you aim to get those jobs done and hear it running?
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

as soon as possible really but i'm a bit busy at uni at the mo, will get the speedo drive drilled out tomorrow and will try and get a cable kit to make up the powervalve cable as soon as poss

had it running about a year ago and the sound has stuck in my head, my tzr250 2ma sounds good but the kr1 beats its sound hands down!
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

did some more work on the bike today, i was fed up of doing little crappy jobs on it so i thought bugger it i'll get it started.......

my god am i glad i did!!!!

put the necessary bits on to get it running and set the kips in the fully open position, some fresh fuel and coolant etc. and it fired up on the 5th kick

it has really spurred me on to get it finished ready for spring!
i forgot how tame they sound on tick over but when u twist that throttle it just screams into life, the nikkon cans give it an incredible crackle, i bet the neighbours wondered what was going on!

i will make a vid of it and post hopefully by next weekend!

until next time!
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

That's going to look really nice when you've finished, what rear shock have you got fitted, just wondering why it has a red spring, as I've just painted mine black? tell me it's not standard :)

It's hard to resist jumping a few jobs to get it running, bit like sticking the tank and panels on before it's ready, 'just to see what it looks like' :) :)
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Hi thanks for the comments!

Yep don't worry its aftermarket its a proflex rear shock.

Yeah i just needed some inspiration and the sound of it was more than enough for me to pick up the pace on getting it finished.

It's the weather thats going to hold me back now!

Maccas
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Maccas your project is coming along great.
You must've been pleased to hear it fire up,not far to go now =D>
"Turned out nice again"
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

progress has been slow the last couple of weeks, most of the jobs that are listed above still need doing!

i bought a few parts off Martin which are of mint standard as usual so big thumbs up Martin!

got both switchgears, clutch lever bracket, intermediate exhaust bracket and a fuel tap!

fitted the fuel tap and no more leaks wahoooo

Anyway i hope to stick some pics on later today of how the bike is looking now

Maccas
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

how the bike is looking now:

merry christmas!
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Hi everyone,

Been slowly doing a bit more to the bike, head gasket was weeping so i bought a genuine gasket from cradleys, pattern gasket is crap and have learnt my lesson now, also got genuine exhaust rings as pattern ones are too small even when squished.

Bought a cable making kit so i can make adequate length cables for my modified powervalves, repacked my nikkon silencers as the old wadding was full of oil and they weren't silencing very well.

Been slowly cleaning and polishing bits up and tweaking the carbs to get it running smooth, occasionally fuel will piss out the bottom of the carbs, it appears the floats are getting stuck, the float bowl is a bit of a bitch to get on properly is this a common problem? If i give the carbs a tap it seems to sort the problem, its if it has been stood for a while that they piss out fuel.

Exhausts were full of old two stroke so cleaned them out as best i can and will see how they are next time i start it up.

HOWEVER i was looking underneath the bike the other day as the kickstart seal is leaking (ordered a set of all seals from PJME) and i noticed that the rear engine mount is cracked, now i am not sure if i have done this or whether it was already there, i am assuming it has been overtightened as when you slacken the bolt off the crack closes up, its annoying as i have had the frame powder coated :(, anyway i will whip the engine out and get it welded up.

I plan to get it welded with the crack slightly open so hopefully it won't happen again! Hopefully i am getting closer and closer to taking it for a blast, brakes and more polishing are the next port of call!

Oh also, does anyone have a picture of how the intermediate exhaust bracket goes? I have fitted it but i have the loop at the bottom at the mo? Does a hole need drilling in the top of where the suspension link is mounted so the the 6mm stud in the bracket can drop into the hole to keep things from spinning?

Help much appreciated :)

Maccas
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Hi Maccas,
with regards to the cracked engine mount, your best bet is to get some shims to take up the slack. It's actually a pretty common thing with these.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

maccas wrote: Oh also, does anyone have a picture of how the intermediate exhaust bracket goes? I have fitted it but i have the loop at the bottom at the mo? Does a hole need drilling in the top of where the suspension link is mounted so the the 6mm stud in the bracket can drop into the hole to keep things from spinning?
Is this what you are after, there is a hole as you mentioned in the 1s frame where the 'pip' sits in.