kr1 engine in rs frame

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
streetfighter_danny
Smoker

kr1 engine in rs frame

Post by streetfighter_danny »

hi guys,this is my very recently started project.2000 aprilia rs125 frame with kr1 standard engine(fully rebuilt).marzocchi 50mm forks,ohlins rear shock,polished kr1 wheels.pics attached are from a few weeks ago.i will update this thread with new pics tomorrow.
engine mounted pretty easy,modified the rear engine mount by cutting a slot out of the crankcase and made 2 brackets for the front engine mount which need powder coating.basically still sourcing parts and building as i go along.once everything is mocked up and fitted,i will be stripping the bike for paint,powder coat and polishing.[/img][/quote]

have ordered a cagiva mito swingarm to fit to this frame as the rs engine is right hand drive so the rs swingarm is pretty useless.hopefully get this rolling before xmas.thanks for looking.

any tips advice ect more than welcome.

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af34 ... 009670.jpg
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af34 ... 009669.jpg
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af34 ... 009710.jpg
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af34 ... 009712.jpg
Last edited by streetfighter_danny on Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:15 am, edited 5 times in total.
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

Hi Danny,

put each of the above links in between these

Then the pics become visible in your topic.

cheers,
Charles
Last edited by Charles on Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
streetfighter_danny
Smoker

Charles wrote:Hi Danny,

put each of the above links between these

Than the pics become visible in your topic.

cheers,
Charles
how do i put img in between?
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

This is your first link:

you need to put it in these brackets

so like this (but without the space after the Image

It then looks like this:

streetfighter_danny
Smoker

Charles wrote:This is your first link:

you need to put it in these brackets

so like this (but without the space after the Image

It then looks like this:

just tried editing the post but img just dont seem to work.im baffled.lol.
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

this is how you edited your fourth link:

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af34 ... 009712.jpg[/img]

now put this [img]%20directly%20in%20front%20of%20it:%20%20%20[img]http://i99..............[/img]
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Re: kr1 engine in rs frame

Post by JanBros »

Hi Danny,

interesting project 8) .

streetfighter_danny wrote: tips advice ect more than welcome.

well, I have serious doubts on the way you are going to mount the engine.

first :

Nice and easy solution, but .......how can you be sure the cases are firmly bolted onto the frame like this ? because that would mean you'd have to put so much stress on the bolt that you press the two halves of the engine-mount onto the frame mount in between them. :-k and by bending the engine mounts, you are going to put a lot off unnescasary stress on the cases.

second :

and since you rear engine mount ain't that strong, the combination with this one won't be up to the job I believe. how thick is that aluminium ? 2mm, 3mm ? over such a long distance ? I believe this will bend under the horsepower.

further : isn't the engine mounted to low ? seeing the space between the clutch and the frame ? maybe you did this so your front sprocket is in line with the swing arm pivot and the rear sprocket ?

but if so, it looks like the cylinders are horizontal like this ?

* do you have enough clearence for the front wheel ? (you'll need about 4cm clearence, when the forkes are fully in (forks bend a lot under heavy braking ) :idea:

* that way, you won't be able to use all the available exhausts and have to make your own

* will the carb's still work well, if they are at such an angle ?

* did you check ground clearance with the engine in the rolling frame as it appears to me the engine is mounted lower than the RS125 engine ?
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
garye345
Premix Junkie

Post by garye345 »

:shock: That sounds like serious hours of trial and error,going into that reply jan :!:
No useful input off me......but good luck with it Danny! :)
I used to be so care less,as if i could'nt careless.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

I don't want to critisise Danny , those are just thoughts going through my head looking at the pictures :wink:
streetfighter_danny
Smoker

JanBros wrote:I don't want to critisise Danny , those are just thoughts going through my head looking at the pictures :wink:
hi jan,thanks for your reply.the rear engine mount is such a tight fit into the frame that they wont be alot of stress on the cases or frame mount.the front mount plates are 4mm steel,i also have the original rs cylinder head brace which bolts to the frame with 4 x m8 bolts which i will be using aswell.so in total the engine will be mounted to the frame with 3 mounts which is more than capable of stopping the engine buckling the frame.the frame itself is also webbed and braced,pretty solid construction.
the engine is vertical in the frame.which is centred in the chassis with engine sprocket lined up with swingarm pivot and rear sprocket.plenty of ground clearance with the expansion chambers mounted,when the bike is leaned over the foot rest will catch the tarmac before the engine/expansion chambers.ive had the forks clamped into the yokes and the front wheel on and i have 3 inches between the tyre and the sparkplug caps.remember guys these pics are about 5 weeks old and i have done lots to this project since.will update with some new pics soon.

as for the carbs,jan your right with saying theres a descrepency with the angle of the carbs but i will machine some angled pipes to fit into the reed stubs and onto the carb which will sort this problem.like most projects its trial and error and no doubt i will come across problems on this project like every other one ive done.but i have the technology and know how to get past any obsticles....
streetfighter_danny
Smoker

Re: kr1 engine in rs frame

JanBros wrote:Hi Danny,

interesting project 8) .

streetfighter_danny wrote: tips advice ect more than welcome.

well, I have serious doubts on the way you are going to mount the engine.

first :

Nice and easy solution, but .......how can you be sure the cases are firmly bolted onto the frame like this ? because that would mean you'd have to put so much stress on the bolt that you press the two halves of the engine-mount onto the frame mount in between them. :-k and by bending the engine mounts, you are going to put a lot off unnescasary stress on the cases.

second :

and since you rear engine mount ain't that strong, the combination with this one won't be up to the job I believe. how thick is that aluminium ? 2mm, 3mm ? over such a long distance ? I believe this will bend under the horsepower.

further : isn't the engine mounted to low ? seeing the space between the clutch and the frame ? maybe you did this so your front sprocket is in line with the swing arm pivot and the rear sprocket ?

but if so, it looks like the cylinders are horizontal like this ?

* do you have enough clearence for the front wheel ? (you'll need about 4cm clearence, when the forkes are fully in (forks bend a lot under heavy braking ) :idea:

* that way, you won't be able to use all the available exhausts and have to make your own

* will the carb's still work well, if they are at such an angle ?

* did you check ground clearance with the engine in the rolling frame as it appears to me the engine is mounted lower than the RS125 engine ?
hi jan dont forget these crankcases are horizontally split,so the rear engine mount is only attached to the lower crankcase half.you were saying that putting too much stress on the crankcases when tightening that bolt.it wont be pulling both crankcases together though? :?the front of the engine is mounted lower than the rs engine,i couldnt take the engine any higher up in the frame as the kickstart would foul on the frame same as the clutch case.exhausts will still fit aswell.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

ok, glad to hear you thought it through well and good :D

looking forward to see the result 8)
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

probably be saving the weight of a side stand...

...but will likely, go through spark plugs like nobodies business
streetfighter_danny wrote: the engine is vertical in the frame
??
:shock:
streetfighter_danny
Smoker

new pics

Image[/img]
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Re: new pics

Post by ScottaKR »

streetfighter_danny wrote:Image
Were you trying to post this pic?
Very interesting build, that's for sure.

I've just finished writting up a little how-to on posting pics which may or may not be of use to you.
viewtopic.php?t=6004
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)