kr1 engine in rs frame

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

there are many challenges building a special and I have much respect for
anyone who can overcome those challenges (yours has quite a few challenges)
As pointed out already, there are many critical factors to be taken into
consideration. I think one of the great things about this forum is the shear
creativity of many KR owners. As such, there is a great wealth of knowledge
shared amongst us (unlike many other forums)
I have had some great input from many of the members on this forum when
building my KR hybrid which has helped me to evolve my bike into what it is
today (still not finished). Please try to take on board the constructive comments on this forum,
because I suspect there are a lot of members who appreciate sound
engineering principles applied to a KR special.
Good luck!
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

the concepts ok, kr1 into rs frame but the setup needs a rethink. id use the kr chassis myself but each his own. do you have the std frame? without trying, you dont learn but the guys on here will help and give sound advice. if they reckon its not a goer, chances are it aint. of the 125's, id choose the tzr belgarda or poss mito. a proper beam frame, not all cast like the rs. best bet is std frame with better running gear. streetfighters aint my thing but the flutes bike is a master piece and is a bike i would proudly own, a real beauty and shows how nice a streetfighter type bike can look.
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

...theres always more uses for left over parts...

streetfighter_danny
Smoker

Post by streetfighter_danny »

JanBros wrote:my shock is also mounted on the subframe. but I've strengthenned it by welding extra aluminium bars on the side, and most important, I've added tough bars that bring the suspensionforces directly to the main frame.

tested and approved already with the misses at the back.

jan,all you seem to do is slate my project.wouldnt mind if you had a custom build that looks the nuts.but unfortunately you dont.you need some lessons in welding looking by the state of your subframe/shock mount and that exhaust system youve bodged together.you crack me up.lol.

when my project is finished ( long way from it ) then i wouldnt mind you slating it.but im not even half way there and theres still alot to change/add and fabricate.for example those exhaust chambers have been bolted onto the manifold so i can work out about rising the engine,missing the foot rest hangers and see where the cans will end up with regards to the seat unit which is now fitted.modified the seat unit,fibre glassed and filled.wont be adding the pic because no doubt you would say something like....thats a crap spray job even though it hasnt been painted...dont think i will be bothering on this forum anymore.everyone is sound apart from the odd couple which think there gods gift to bike building..piece of piss to restore a kr1 but try building a bike from scratch...an epic fail for some of you.
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

Ok Danny, We can see you are not pleased with some of the comments you are getting about your project. Without exception people have tried to give advice, many on here are experienced specials builders, including Jan.
You are fairly new to the forum and it might be worth your while getting used to the regulars. Jan does have a fairly 'direct' style of posting, it is not just you, he is the same to everyone.
It is very easy to take forum posts to heart when they were not meant that way, humour, irony, sarcasm etc. are notoriously difficult to get across in text.
This forum is not moderated (it has never needed to be), if you have any issues it may be worth using the pm. system rather than appearing to air your laundry in public.
Good luck with the project,
Mike
Last edited by Bikemike on Mon May 10, 2010 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.
iain250
Heavy Smoker

Post by iain250 »

not sure i like the way this thread is going folks

iain.
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

another Danny? #-o

Charles

PS What about paying for the clutch star you ordered months ago?
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

streetfighter_danny wrote: jan,all you seem to do is slate my project.wouldnt mind if you had a custom build that looks the nuts.but unfortunately you dont.you need some lessons in welding looking by the state of your subframe/shock mount and that exhaust system youve bodged together.you crack me up.lol.
everybody has a right to his own opinion.

I already said (or tried to at least, my english is far from perfect) I'm not after slating you. I just have serious doubts on whether your project will work and so I post them.... to help you, to see if you have thought about everything, to point you at possible problems you might/will encounter ...

I'm not a professionel welder, I know that. But I also know that what I weld is solid and works. I don't care about the looks as long as I'm testing things. Why should I bother cleaning up my exhausts and put time and effort in them when it is possible that I just have to scrap the hole project 'cause in the end I run into problems I can't overcome ?

If I compare mine to yours : your project looks better build at this point, but I still don't thinck you'll get as far as mine. Just to proof me wrong : please take the springs out off your forks and take a picture with the forks compressed.

and as for your first question : this is how I finish my projects once I know it's worthwhile spending the money :

My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
streetfighter_danny
Smoker

Post by streetfighter_danny »

JanBros wrote:
streetfighter_danny wrote: jan,all you seem to do is slate my project.wouldnt mind if you had a custom build that looks the nuts.but unfortunately you dont.you need some lessons in welding looking by the state of your subframe/shock mount and that exhaust system youve bodged together.you crack me up.lol.
everybody has a right to his own opinion.

I already said (or tried to at least, my english is far from perfect) I'm not after slating you. I just have serious doubts on whether your project will work and so I post them.... to help you, to see if you have thought about everything, to point you at possible problems you might/will encounter ...

I'm not a professionel welder, I know that. But I also know that what I weld is solid and works. I don't care about the looks as long as I'm testing things. Why should I bother cleaning up my exhausts and put time and effort in them when it is possible that I just have to scrap the hole project 'cause in the end I run into problems I can't overcome ?

If I compare mine to yours : your project looks better build at this point, but I still don't thinck you'll get as far as mine. Just to proof me wrong : please take the springs out off your forks and take a picture with the forks compressed.

and as for your first question : this is how I finish my projects once I know it's worthwhile spending the money :

what is special about that build?that is just a kr1 without a belly pan.to be honest its not my cup of tea.but i will guarentee that i will finish my project and it will have a full mot and be road legal and safe to ride.jan i will proove you wrong.i have had problems on this build like on all builds i have done.i have also overcome the problems.ive never said custom building is easy.takes alot of blood sweat and tears.also time and money.just cant believe people are saying its a no goer just from the pics.when the bike is finished it will more than likely be changed.ie how the engine is mounted.i know i have to raise the front of the engine,i also know exactly how im going to do it.regards danny.
TwoStroke Institute
Oil Injector

Post by TwoStroke Institute »

Bloody hell danny that looks unreal :D Where is the oil cooler going?
crochet & croquet
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

Like my machinist always says "Nothings impossible - its just varying
degrees of difficulty".
Although it appears as though Jan is being direct, I don't think he is having a pop at you. I really don't think its about proving who's right or
wrong either, just that certain critical design criteria needs to be taken into consideration during the planning stage and the project built around
this criteria.
Although personally not keen on the idea of having the shock bolted to the subframe with no rising rate, what concerns me is the way the subframe is
mounted to the main frame (strength) - however, if you have done you stress calcs and everything appears Ok, then there's no reason why you can't go ahead with it. Another concern of mine is adding extended inlet tracts to compensate for the engine tilt as this may compromise the engine pumping characteristics - but again, if you have considered this and addressed it, then fine go ahead. The same also goes for the gearbox oil etc etc.
I for one would like to see a successful transplant and look forward to see how you overcome any expected or unexpected obstacles as that is what defines a great special.
Dude, chill out
barryj
Heavy Smoker

Post by barryj »

Danny, would you like to buy the brackets for this conversion:

I have them kicking round in my garage, as you can see they put the engine in the optimum position for exhausts and ground clearance.

I am only joshing by the way (but I do have the brackets if you want them!)
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

barry, i doubt theres anyone dumb enough to buy those mounts!!!, btw where doid you get the PIC from? (cough cough, found the image via google.......) lol its been a while since i saw that !! cant beleive you still have the brackets!! who made em, the ''OTHER'' danny?? lol
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

streetfighter_danny wrote: what is special about that build?that is just a kr1 without a belly pan.to be honest its not my cup of tea.
there's nothing really special about it, I know that. And I don't care if the whole world hates it, it's only me that rides it and I like it, and that's all that mathers :wink:

I just posted the pic to show you what kind off finish my porjects will get in the end if everything is ok :wink: (which isn't at the moment, damned fuel pump an no more space to do what I want to do :cry: )
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !