C1 Rebuild

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
garye345
Premix Junkie

Post by garye345 »

The Aus market got the same as the Japanesse market,smaller indicators and better mirrors.Its cause we have got great massive plates,and if we cut them down we get done!
I used to be so care less,as if i could'nt careless.
geezagillard
Smoker

Post by geezagillard »

Can you tell us more about the shock....I have been looking for a better rear for a while with the ride height adjustment as well. How much was it?
Ian_B
Heavy Smoker

Post by Ian_B »

geezagillard wrote:Can you tell us more about the shock....I have been looking for a better rear for a while with the ride height adjustment as well. How much was it?
If you are happy to do the modification to the airbox, I would go down the R6 rear shock route as the custom made route is expensive. I have Maxton suspension on the RS250 and so I checked with them for the KR-1S and the rear (inc. ride height adjustment) was 520GBP plus vat. The Technik one I have worked out to be about 400GBP. Its about another 40GBP for one with a ride height adjuster.

A bit more progress on other fronts.

The wiring is back in and covered in spiral-wrap and the replica warning decal on the swingarm worked out well.

The brake calipers are starting to clean up okay and the black goodridge lines look good.

The rear reservoir, bracket and hose have cleaned up nicely.

Roose motor sport radiator hoses have also been fitted - a good buy from The Tuning Works.
Ian_B
Heavy Smoker

Post by Ian_B »

A bit more progress. Been trying different heat resistant paints for the exhausts.

dandan0162
Heavy Smoker

Post by dandan0162 »

=D> nice work looks mint and standard finishes are great,i use bbq paint for mine it has really good results and cheap :lol: keep up the good work!
Cliff
Premix Junkie

Post by Cliff »

Top work mate! 8)

As an Aussie you shoud have good access to BBQ paint :D

Its all you lot talk about afterall :lol: .
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

As an Aussie you shoud have good access to BBQ paint
Ha ha ha :lol:

Top stuff Ian, that bike looks like its still on the production line at the big K. Do you do this sort of thing for a living? If not, isn't it about time you did :wink:

I still think that rear shock resevoir looks the nuts 8)

Impressed

Howie
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

excellent work Ian,you're doing a grand job there mate =D>

What paint did you settle for on the exhausts :?:

It seems that the bbq paint gets the thumbs up all round.I've just read about someone using it to refurb a Kerker from a Z1000.
"Turned out nice again"
Ian_B
Heavy Smoker

Post by Ian_B »

Thanks for comments.
pablo wrote: What paint did you settle for on the exhausts :?:
I became an Australian citizen just before christmas and so it had to be BBQ paint for the exhausts! Once the surface was prepared it seemed to go on really evenly when a good satin finish. Will just have to wait and see how it holds up.

Currently struggling with what to do for silencers. Mine both have large dents and scruffs but I can't afford new OEM ones. Missed a NOS one on ebay a week ago that went for about 70GBP.

Not too many other problems at the moment other than a leaking water pump gasket.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Howie wrote:I still think that rear shock resevoir looks the nuts 8)
I've actually seen a bike around recently (not a KR) that must've had a pretty scruffy shock res, cause he'd slipped an empty red bull can over it. Had a good laugh to myself when I saw that.

Ian, you may have to go aftermarket for the cans. Maybe some nice JL items would look the part. :-k
It's definately gunna be a head turner when it's finished going by what ouve done so far. I'll admit I'm somewhat jealous of it. :oops:
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

ScottaKR wrote: I'll admit I'm somewhat jealous of it. :oops:
who isn't? It looks awesome.......
Ian_B
Heavy Smoker

Post by Ian_B »

I tried a pair of the JL aluminium cans on the standard expansion chambers but found that the diameter on the silencer entry wouldn't fit the mounting flange without modification. I wasn't sure if it was just the pair I had but Sean, at the Tuning Works, was really helpful and took measurements on others in stock and they were all the same. I may risk a pair of the ones from Hong Kong advertised on ebay for the NSR250. I also contacted Nigel Kimber to see what he could do.
Ian_B
Heavy Smoker

Post by Ian_B »

If I can't get a pair of clean KR-1S silencers, I'm thinking of going down this route:

They are OEM silencers from a 1996 Aprilia RS250. What do you think? They would need a custom bracket to attached to the standard KR-1S hangers.
Bertie_Mollie
Premix Junkie

Post by Bertie_Mollie »

I was thinking exactly the same thing about RS250 cans. Jamie is fitting some too from a later RS. Do the flange fixings line up?
GWB KR1s C2 - Now gone :-(
GWB KR1 - YES IT'S DONE!
ZXR400L PROJECT :shock:
AND NO S****Y H****A'S

Usque Ad Mortem Bibendum
geezagillard
Smoker

Post by geezagillard »

These fit on with no mods....from TZMike were $99US last time I checked