Race Bike Rebuild

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

Post by smithyrc30 »

KR-1R wrote:.
you'll need at least one of these...

These are the latest ones....

The ones on my ex-Suzuka 8hr RC30 are oblong white stickers and do fade very quickly......
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

This week Ade sent me the hugger off his bike and I've not fitted it yet, it's just resting in place here, but I wanted your opinions on whether to keep it black, paint it green or if you prefer the look without it all together.
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

keep it black is my opinion, it distracts the eye too much when they are colour coded I think.
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

I think black too for the same reasons above
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

It looks good the way it is Ben.
"Turned out nice again"
john-b
Oil Injector

Post by john-b »

I would leave it as it is but being realistic from my past experience and im just trying to be practical and i admit i did rallying i didnt race bikes but if you carry on you aint going to win! This is because you wont want to risk breaking it and falling off which isnt an if its a when if your going to win :lol: well from my experience i could be wrong just my opinion :roll:
I wish i knew something about KR's so i was like knowledgeable about them and everything like what you lot are ;-) :-) :-)
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Ben,
Black looks cool 8)
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
Top-shaggy
Premix Junkie

Post by Top-shaggy »

I pondered on this one for ages because I wouldn't use the hugger - for me less is more. It looks fantastic anyway =D>
If it takes more than 2strokes then your just playing at it..
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Got to be one of the best looking bikes on the track (and street). =D>
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

john-b wrote:I would leave it as it is but being realistic from my past experience and im just trying to be practical and i admit i did rallying i didnt race bikes but if you carry on you aint going to win! This is because you wont want to risk breaking it and falling off which isnt an if its a when if your going to win :lol: well from my experience i could be wrong just my opinion :roll:
A good point :!: All this effort is going to slow you down Ben. It'll be that nice you won't want to risk an off :-k
"Turned out nice again"
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

It won't slow me down. I'll try not to come off as I always do, but am motivated this year and at the end of the day, it's a race bike.

Here's the tank as good as finished...

mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

Ben

The comments about the bike being too pretty to race are correct.

If you want to be at the sharp end I would put together a second set of body work that looks the part but maybe hasn't had the hours put in that you have on that set.

One thing is certain in racing is that you will fall - it would be a shame to see all that work damaged.
garye345
Premix Junkie

Post by garye345 »

mj43 wrote:Ben

The comments about the bike being too pretty to race are correct.

If you want to be at the sharp end I would put together a second set of body work that looks the part but maybe hasn't had the hours put in that you have on that set.

One thing is certain in racing is that you will fall - it would be a shame to see all that work damaged.
mj i disagree with you there buddy,but i have never been racing :oops: (on track at least).
To me,if its all been done by luders,then its only cost him his time,and a little money.And what he has done once,can be done again.
I would agree with a second set of bodywork,but i would do it exactly the same.That way when things go pear shape,down time is at a minimum and he still has a shit hot looking race bike to boot.
Luders i have to say,its looking tidy pal,very tidy!
Can you do it justice though? :)
I used to be so care less,as if i could'nt careless.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Honestly, if I got a spare set of body work, I would do them to the same standard and I can't think of the bike as being too good to race. I have had the time over winter to get it to a high standard and it might be looking like it needs some TLC by the end of the season, but that's racing and I accept that knowing I'll have the winter to do it all again.

During the winter months, it helps to have something like this to work on and keep my mind busy. Racing is my main hobby, but I really do enjoy the mechanical side and bodywork etc. If I didn't have a bike to rebuild each year, I would be lost :)

As Gary said, I've done all the work myself, so it's only cost me my time and the cost of materials etc, so no need to worry about it too much.

Easy come easy go, is how I look at it.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

I can understand both sides, but from my own experience : the more you crash, the less effort you put in in re-fixing it.

Now I'm at the point that if a trackbike looks good from a distance , that's fine by me. Don't care anymore how it looks up close :mrgreen:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !