My C3 Project

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
DeadHammer
Heavy Smoker

Re: My C3 Project

Post by DeadHammer »

Thanks Ian - I am swaying in the direction you suggest. I think the powder coating suits the wheels because of it's durability but whenever I see a powder coated frame it always seems that the frame number is hidden because of the thickness of finish and I'd hate to have to sand down a finished frame at MOT time so the examiner can read it! :(

I also notice that you have the two black stickers on the right front of your frame - are they reproductions? If so where can I find them?

Apologies for all the questions..
Ian964
Smoker

Post by Ian964 »

DeadHammer wrote:Thanks Ian - I am swaying in the direction you suggest. I think the powder coating suits the wheels because of it's durability but whenever I see a powder coated frame it always seems that the frame number is hidden because of the thickness of finish and I'd hate to have to sand down a finished frame at MOT time so the examiner can read it! :(

I also notice that you have the two black stickers on the right front of your frame - are they reproductions? If so where can I find them?

Apologies for all the questions..
Questions are no problem, I have asked enough over the last eighteen months! The powder coat does hide the frame number a bit, you can still read it, but as I said I think I would do it 2k paint next time.

The stickers I got from eBay by chance one day, but it may have been a forum member selling them, so it may be worth asking on here.

I took lots of up close photos of them with a ruler in the picture to get the dimensions as I was going to get some reproduced.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

well done =D>
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Fantastic turnaround, I think everybody's fairings look like that underneath, hope to get mine finished this year, just waiting for the good weather to finish the bodywork off, then an MOT fingers crossed.

How much is the paintwork at Cordwells (Northampton???) compared to other places if you don't mind me asking, or were they just recommended/local to you?
Ian964
Smoker

Post by Ian964 »

SP_BOTT wrote:Fantastic turnaround, I think everybody's fairings look like that underneath, hope to get mine finished this year, just waiting for the good weather to finish the bodywork off, then an MOT fingers crossed.

How much is the paintwork at Cordwells (Northampton???) compared to other places if you don't mind me asking, or were they just recommended/local to you?
I think you must be right about the panels. My front fairing was snapped clean off where the left mirror attached. Initially I thought I would just get another but other than grp none came up. Fortunately I still had the broken piece so it could be repaired.

I struggled to find a painter initially as I had always used car painters previously but with this one I wanted someone who was in to painting bikes to do it. I saw Cordwells had painted one of Martins restorations and it certainly looked the part so I called them and gave them a go. They are based in Derby. I paid somewhere between six and seven hundred, but the price depends on the condition of the panels. The good thing is I was not dissapointed when I collected!
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Thanks, thought the name looked familiar, couldn't remember who had used them before, price sounds good too, going to have a go myself, then if I c##k it up, it's off to them :)

I've repaired a couple of fairings myself now (along with loads of panels), ended up making the mirror arm from an old seat unit for one of them, as the original part had long gone :)
Hawk
Heavy Smoker

Post by Hawk »

SP_BOTT wrote:Thanks, thought the name looked familiar, couldn't remember who had used them before, price sounds good too, going to have a go myself, then if I c##k it up, it's off to them :)

I've repaired a couple of fairings myself now (along with loads of panels), ended up making the mirror arm from an old seat unit for one of them, as the original part had long gone :)
Being cheeky, I don't suppose you have got any of teh old seat unit left? I need a small piece to attempt a repair to one of the corners of my fairing (unbelievably the old owner managed to find the mirror arm, or ear as I call them, and sent it to me recently).

Woud save me from having to buy a damaged fairing / seat unit and cut it up.

Thanks ;)
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Yes it's still kicking around outside, although it's not complete, all the mounts were missing when I bought it, and I've used it for other repairs, which section are you interested in??
Hawk
Heavy Smoker

Post by Hawk »

SP_BOTT wrote:Yes it's still kicking around outside, although it's not complete, all the mounts were missing when I bought it, and I've used it for other repairs, which section are you interested in??
I'm just after a small piece to build up the (dont know how to describle this?) 'point' of the top fairing - the bit nearest the riders knee above the belly pan join
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

So you're not after a specific bend or corner then? I can cut a bit off and send it, if you give me your address (PM me )

Sorry Ian, this is taking your thread off topic somewhat. :oops:
tescr500
Oil Injector

Post by tescr500 »

that's a fine job you have done there, great looking bike, can't wait to see all these kr1/s restored, I think we should have a big get together few photo's couple of kegs of beer burgers lol great job well done that man. =D> =D> =D>
No Matter How Messy Things Get You Can Always Clean Them Up.
MY MAMMA TOLD ME, IF YOU AIN'T GOT ANY PROBLEMS DON'T MAKE ONE.
TIME IS PRECIOUS WASTE IT WISELY
Guttee

Post by Guttee »

How did you get on with the diy zinc plating. I have loads to do would you recommend a good kit.
Paint looks fantastic, excellent job overall.
Ian964
Smoker

Post by Ian964 »

I got the zinc plating kit from a company called Gateros plating.

Home plating does work well and after a bit of trial and error gives really good results, but the key is good perpetration and get everything really clean.

If you are going to do lots of bits and you have a shop that does plating it is probably cheaper to take everything there in one go and get them to do it.