KR1 project - i like a challenge

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
will77
Heavy Smoker

Re: KR1 project - i like a challenge

Post by will77 »

Dear all, I'm still on with this project and after getting myself completely frustrated in April when the carbs kept overflowing....the poor little kr1 got put to back of garage and hasn't seen daylight since....

So I'm back in the mood to have another crack before I just pay someone to finish it off...ha ha

Stripped carbs again and found more dirt, not a lot....just little specs....so tank fully flushed with boiling water and then dryer with a hair dryer (good tip) but then with a powerful torch I cold see rust on inside of tank so...
The question is, can I get something to seal inside?? Before starting all over again or do I just hunt another tank down and get painted again?

Any help appreciated as I will get this bike on the road!!! One day!!!!

Cheers guys
New to Forum, restoring a KR1...or should i say building from scratch
garye345
Premix Junkie

Post by garye345 »

Yeah,petseal I think its called.
Just make sure you keep turning the tank until it ALL sets,so you don't end up with a bit of coating round the tank,and then a thick layer at the bottom #-o .
I used to be so care less,as if i could'nt careless.
nikfubar
Smoker

Post by nikfubar »

Don't use Petseal it's not ethanol proof & that shit they pass off as petrol nowadays will eat through it. The only one which can withstand it is POR15 you just need the smallest can available from Frosts.

http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-tanks ... alers.html
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

Great product por 15 , £6 p&p is a bum...r

Steve
will77
Heavy Smoker

Post by will77 »

Thanks guys, por15 it is...I'll keep you informed, fingers crossed. [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
KRXR

Post by KRXR »

nice job on the rebuild. ive nearly finished mine have put an xr600 into kr1 frame zxr400 front end, oh the tank the flip tank, id tried just about everything there is to try even tank liners. don't talk to me about tank liners, after all can n e 1 name one manufacturer who uses them, one fact- if u dent the tank the liner is probably shagged. then u have to get that liner out. close to but not impossible. I got hold of a product called phosclean40 dilute if u want but I didn't, 1/4 fill tank rotate and shake each time rest tank on a different side. this removes the rust and wait for it...... will coat your tank with a rust resistant coating, this is invisible so all u see is what u would see if u look inside a brand new tank, clean looking steel colour. clean the rust out as much as u can first, I didn't have much rust to start with, I used hydrochloric acid and 600 m5 nuts then shook the bastard till my arms fell off, after putting my arms back on, i used the phosclean40. the hydro acid when tipped out will cause flash rust(instant rust) nothing to worry about, take out the nuts b4 using phosclean40. I could have used it again as it came out clear I went though a few fists full of cash,time and stress to get it to how it is now. I do not work for the chemical company, im just a diesel fitter who's worked on my own bikes since I could pick up a spanner. if I can save u some cash, time and stress then that's great
heavy modification
will77
Heavy Smoker

Post by will77 »

Hi Guys...

I'm back again and to confirm the KR1 is all MOT'd and ready to hit the roads...will post picture later

so 1st ride out to petrol station....all working fine at Last....so I thought...then I hit a problem

Runs great up to 4th / 5th about 60/70MPH and then starts stuttering like fuel starvation...once I back off and get down through revs its runs great

when I open it up in higher revs its smoking quite a bit but soon clears through..

exhausts tips are very oiley on return home

can anyone suggest what that might be.....

one step at a time, at least my tank is clean and my carbs aren't overflowing any more..

thanks guys and as always...any help gratefully received
dmac
Heavy Smoker

Post by dmac »

Sounds similar to two bikes I had,

Same symptoms, on the 3ma it was a pilot jet that was cleaned out with a black and decker :lol: , one was way too large.

On the TDR it was the choke circuit leaking on one carb, There is a small jet pressed into the float bowl on those, and it also received the black and decker treatment, replaced the float bowl to cure.

A useful tip is to run it one cylinder at a time to see which one is giving bother, just take a plug cap off and run it briefly, you don't want to do damage to it.
I used to be undecided, but now I am not so sure.