Is it me ?

General queries KR Bikes
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Is it me ?

Post by Binetta Steve » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:42 pm

Is it me or is Facebook hoovering up all motorcycle forums.

I notice the KH triples site and the RD site are losing menbers to fasache.

Concern I have is the expectation of people, eg a part sold on here for a tenner is advertised at £30.

I don’t know twhat he answer is, as f book will pile in millions of £ worth of sponsorship, whilst our modest forums exist on £10 to 15 per person pa

The other thing I see on facebk is people who clearly havnt a clue chipping in on technical posts. In this event their contribution is worse than useless it missdirects the opening poster

I like the pragmatism of Ben, Jarno , jan bros , Garry , Bernie , Martin podman , etc , you know who you are!!!! on this site

mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Re: Is it me ?

Post by mellorp » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:45 am

Yes it is.

Same thing has happened to the NSR free forum, it averages less posts the the KR forum, but is fairly active on FB. The RGV forum has reinvented itself to adapt to the change of focus between social chitchat and tech questions. Tech info and archive info needs to stay on the forums as it's easy to search for answers. Pretty pictures and social events is what FB is good for. Sadly more people are using it for technical information. Due to the way search engines work, more results will point at FB rather than a forum. So the traffic goes to FB.

IMO adapt to survive is the answer :-)

Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:45 pm

Agree with you both that eveything seems to be moving to Facebook - guess it is a sign of the times

It's not my thing - i do look from time to time and it often gives me a chuckle on technical posts as you say Steve. I always come here if i want to
know something so hope it keeps going as there is a big resource available

Tumbleweed comes to mind on here from time to time :P - not sure what the answer is.
Smokings Good For You

podman
Heavy Smoker

Post by podman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:38 pm

I agree mate, Facebook certainly is taking away contributions to some forums, I think, like the RD500 forum im on, we are a niche amongst a niche, only takes a few key players to jump ship for it to become quiet, the RDLC forum is always busy and full of posts , I guess theres many,many more 250/350/YPVSs and owners kicking around than KRs.

Not a lot we can do about it but I dont feel im missing out enough to make me decide to get a FB account!

Luders
Premix Junkie

Post by Luders » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:31 am

I don't like this social media era, so refuse to use and buy in to it.

For me personally, I became less active on this site when it was hacked and lost its skin.

500bernie
Premix Junkie

Post by 500bernie » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:57 pm

Hi Ben,
I have used the forum less since it was hacked, I think because without it's old skin it feels "temporary" , I am not a lover of social media and only use it to interact socially with friends and family (which is what it is for).
If I wanted to talk bikes it would be on a proper forum not fbook.
It has not been helped by the money grabbing antics of photobucket, who have destroyed some great threads.
My New Year's resolution will be to revive my bike thread and update some photos, if I can find an alternative to photobucket.
Cheers
Bernie :)
2 Firecracker Red and Grey C3s

mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:08 am

I think you hit the nail on the head. People love pics and with photobucket now broken FB is actually a great place to host pics and have the discussions

Quick fix (courtesy of Norbo) on the Photobucket fiasco is ....all you need to do is go to edit and put ~original after the last word jpg and your picture can now be seen its that simple ....and that puts your pics back into your original thread

Luders
Premix Junkie

Post by Luders » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:32 pm

Losing pictures on great threads is a massive frustration for forums in general. I still like forums and will never sell out to Facebook or anything similar.

headcoats
Premix Junkie

Post by headcoats » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:52 pm

Flickr is the photo place to use now

As you probably know I have been on here quite a few years now but never owned a KR :shock:
As an outsider I would say that you have such a low number of KR owners that it is an achievement you have a forum and you should cherish it
Don't mean that in a condescending way at all

Think in the future you may lose the forum and survival would be on say Norbos RDLCCRAZY site but in a sub forum dedicated to KR's

Don't mean that in a bad way either :oops:

On a different note , my old bike meets are dying and weds night since I was a kid was bike night but now things are different and struggle to find a well turned out meet but admit I don't travel too far a field
Can it yer old boiler

scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:38 pm

I think both have their specific niche to fill.
For general chit chat about bikes and showing off pictures, etc, FB is great, however for more indpeth technical discussions and the archive of relevant information, then specific forums are the way to go, as the subjects tend to be assigned to specific sections fo the forum (Electrical/Chassis/Engine) etc, and the titles of the thread are also indicitive of the content, unlike FB which could be anything about anything.

Marty_Rillo
Heavy Smoker

Post by Marty_Rillo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:46 pm

Haha!
I'm late to this debate!
The kr Facebook has been good for somethings, meeting some new faces is one of them, but it's also stopping traffic through this very good forum.
My bike has greatly benefited from the advice on this forum, but I find if I give advice on Facebook, it's mainly ignored, it's as if everyone assumes you don't know what your on about!
Why ask the questions on Facebook then?
Idiots!

I nearly sold my kr1s in a moment of madness for a 1098 but came to my senses!!

Haha!

Hope you all use your bikes in the new year!!

Cheers Martin.