6v on cable

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
Mouser
Heavy Smoker

6v on cable

Post by Mouser »

Hi folks,

Hope you can help me out here. My KR1-S suddenly stopped running on the middle of the road and never wanted to start again.

I thought about the cdi, changed it. Nothing. I measured the spark (ith a spark tester) no spark, both sides.
I thought it could the ignition coil, changed it, still the same.

What I found meanwhile is that I do have 6V on the + cable that does connect to the ignition coil (black/white). I do have those 6V even if I have disconnected the cdi and the coil, so measured from end to end of the black/white cable(from the connector that goes to the cdi and the connector to the coil), the cable removed from the cdi and the coil. So it must have a "wrong connection" somewhere in the wires....but why 6V?!?(yes the battery does have 12v...)

Anybody got an idea where the cable could have that "wrong connection" in the wires to get it to 6v?

many thanks

Chris
krm
Light Smoker

Re: 6v on cable

Post by krm »

Hi, not sure if you've sorted this yet?
1st Check the fuses, the 20A one, is part of the rev counter circuit... if okay., then it points to either wiring fault or rev counter. Check the wiring diagram, and the circuits for the Rev counter.
If you have power going to coil wire b/w after disconnecting from coil, it points to rev counter, as this wire is connected to it.
Try disconnecting the rev counter, see if it starts then.
Hope this helps.
Mouser
Heavy Smoker

Post by Mouser »

hi,

Nope not solved yet :).

thanks for your help!

I'm in another project for the moment, but as soon as I attack it again I will try this.

many thanks

Chris
c&c
Heavy Smoker

Post by c&c »

Interesting,
I wonder was this ever solved..
I see its some some ago..
I"ll take the wine,you can have the bread.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

it's possible you have a high resistance in the wire (bad connectors/...)
you can check this by placing both pins somwhere along the wire : it should reed 0V. if you do reed for example 2V, that means there is a resistance between the 2 measuring points. bringing the measuring points closer together while keeping the 2V will ultimatly pinpoint to the problem.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Mouser
Heavy Smoker

Post by Mouser »

Hi guys,

Sorry for the long waiting.

I did manage to try the error in the winter.

I did change the tachometer and the 6v where gone....

BUT

I ALSO did have a broken cable in the pickup-coil, I did not see it on the first view, it was broken on the inside.

So....I did not start the machine yet as it was very cold outside the time I did the work....and now I did not have time yet.

Would be interesting to change the tachometer if the machine runs.....but I don't think I will :), too many hours of work again.....I did change the inside of the tachometer....sorry.