How to bypass JDM KR-1S/1R speed restriction...hopefully!

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
Virgie
Heavy Smoker

Re: How to bypass JDM KR-1S/1R speed restriction...hopefully!

Post by Virgie »

That is a big gain in top revs overrun which would be brilliant in some sections of track where changing up but straight back down again doesn't work so you end up stuck at a speed limited by the revs not how fast the chassis feels happy with. I would certainly love a bit of that! Thanks for that one :lol:
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

Thanks for your report and dyno print-outs Virgie. It is good to see that the resistor trick works for the '1275' CDI unit, although it would be nice to get rid of that dip at 10,300rpm.
If you get the chance for more runs, you could (as Spyros suggested) try replacing the 18kOhm resistor by a 15kOhm and/or a 22kOhm resistor...just to see if it makes any difference at all. If there is any noticeable difference, it may give you an idea whether increasing or decreasing the resistance is the correct way to go. If you do get the opportunity to try different resistors, try the 18kOhm one again...just to make sure you still have a valid reference point.

Regards,
James
Virgie
Heavy Smoker

Post by Virgie »

Thanks James, indeed thanks to all of you that made this project possible as it would not be somrthing I could have done on my own. I will certainly do as suggested and try different resistors the next time I get to a dyno. I am really pleased we now know how too get the full power curve out of the JDM CDI. Extra options are good as inevitably original CDI's will be wearing out, so the JDM one is now a valid option. I really think that the small dip in revs just after 10,000 will probably not be that noticable on the road. Also all you guys over in the Asia region with restricted bikes now know the cure :lol: