89 kr1 blowing main fuse

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
waza1972
Light Smoker

89 kr1 blowing main fuse

Post by waza1972 »

Evening all. Stareed it up today and got it up to temperature and then it went of, all lights on dash everything off. Checked the main 20A fuse and that had blown, I replaced it and as soon as I switched the ignition on it blew straight away. Anybody got any idea's? Its took me 5 years to sort this bike and It was running like a new bike. If anyone can point me in the right direction it will be much appreciated.
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Re: 89 kr1 blowing main fuse

Post by Binetta Steve »

Sounds like a straight down to earth. From my experience I look at the obvious areas around the battery, frayed broken insulation. Next look where the loom is radiused around the steering head, again looking for a break in the insulation. On my last brit bike where the wires entered the headlight was a fault as a grommet had perished and the nacelle cut through the wires. Then unfortunately it’s continuity testing.

At a simple level can you disconnect unplug some obvious things eg side stand switch ( in case salty water inside) horn, kips servo motor. Main headlight bulb. Then if the fuse doesnt blow, reconnect each item one at a time. Grab a pad and note down what you have done as well.

Very frustrating, good luck .

Im sure an electrical expert will come on soon with other ideas.
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Regulator/rectifier?
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
Coose
Heavy Smoker

Post by Coose »

Binetta Steve wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:24 pm Sounds like a straight down to earth. From my experience I look at the obvious areas around the battery, frayed broken insulation. Next look where the loom is radiused around the steering head, again looking for a break in the insulation. On my last brit bike where the wires entered the headlight was a fault as a grommet had perished and the nacelle cut through the wires. Then unfortunately it’s continuity testing.

At a simple level can you disconnect unplug some obvious things eg side stand switch ( in case salty water inside) horn, kips servo motor. Main headlight bulb. Then if the fuse doesnt blow, reconnect each item one at a time. Grab a pad and note down what you have done as well.

The above is a good place to start.
Looking at the wiring diagram the main fuse wiring exits the fuse box on a white core, which runs straight up to the ignition switch and the white core on the regulator/rectifier. We can rule this core out as the fuse would blow as soon as you changed it.
Now, the ignition switch in the On position connects the white to the brown, which feeds things such as the brake light switches, Pass button, the power feed to the CDI and also the brown onto the regulator/rectifier. It then feeds the other two fuses in the fuse box, so assuming that these haven't been replaced with nails I would expect them to blow before the Main 20A fuse, so we can rule out anything downstream of the other two fuses.

So, I would first suggest unplugging the CDI and R/R and see if the fuse blows then. If not, keep the ignition switch on and plug in each in turn to see if either blows the fuse.
If, with the CDI and RR disconnected the fuse still blows something is down to earth, so have a look at the wiring diagram and disconnect anything on the brown wire from the ignition switch. This includes both brake light switches, the Pass button, Indicator Flasher relay, tacho, temp gauge and idiot lights. If the fuse still blows you have a damaged loom. If not, plug in each in turn to see which blows the fuse and then you'll find a direction to go in.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

instead of blowing up a lot of fuses, replace it with a high wattage 12V bulb. as long as it burns bright the short-circuit is still present. if it goes out or burns only mildly, the shorting is gone.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

What a “briiliant” idea Jan, nice one.
waza1972
Light Smoker

Post by waza1972 »

Binetta Steve wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:24 pm Sounds like a straight down to earth. From my experience I look at the obvious areas around the battery, frayed broken insulation. Next look where the loom is radiused around the steering head, again looking for a break in the insulation. On my last brit bike where the wires entered the headlight was a fault as a grommet had perished and the nacelle cut through the wires. Then unfortunately it’s continuity testing.

I will have ago the weekend and do exactly what you've said. Thank mate, appreciated.
waza1972
Light Smoker

Post by waza1972 »

Coose wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:44 am

The above is a good place to start.
Looking at the wiring diagram the main fuse wiring exits the fuse box on a white core, which runs straight up to the ignition switch and the white core on the regulator/rectifier. We can rule this core out as the fuse would blow as soon as you changed it.
Now, the ignition switch in the On position connects the white to the brown, which feeds things such as the brake light switches, Pass button, the power feed to the CDI and also the brown onto the regulator/rectifier. It then feeds the other two fuses in the fuse box, so assuming that these haven't been replaced with nails I would expect them to blow before the Main 20A fuse, so we can rule out anything downstream of the other two fuses.

So, I would first suggest unplugging the CDI and R/R and see if the fuse blows then. If not, keep the ignition switch on and plug in each in turn to see if either blows the fuse.
If, with the CDI and RR disconnected the fuse still blows something is down to earth, so have a look at the wiring diagram and disconnect anything on the brown wire from the ignition switch. This includes both brake light switches, the Pass button, Indicator Flasher relay, tacho, temp gauge and idiot lights. If the fuse still blows you have a damaged loom. If not, plug in each in turn to see which blows the fuse and then you'll find a direction to go in.
Will do this the weekend. Nice one mate, I'm not the greatest with electrics so this info is a bonus. Cheers.
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

Sometimes theyre not how you left them last when rats and mice take a fancy to them, especially winter
waza1972
Light Smoker

Post by waza1972 »

[/quote]

Hi, I have just disconnected everything. So with the ign on The 1st plug I reconnected was the ignition switch and as soon as plugged it in it blew the main fuse straight away. Should I have reconnected the other things 1st? Or does this point to the ignition switch itself? I have stripped the heat shrink off that small loom from that multi plug upto the switch and its fine.
waza1972
Light Smoker

Post by waza1972 »

Hi, I have just disconnected everything. So with the ign on The 1st plug I reconnected was the ignition switch and as soon as plugged it in it blew the main fuse straight away. Should I have reconnected the other things 1st? Or does this point to the ignition switch itself? I have stripped the heat shrink off that small loom from that multi plug upto the switch and its fine. I have also stripped the actuall switch apart and again that looks fin, no water ingress no fried wires and all conatcts look clean.

Cheers Waza
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Could possibly be the feed back to the fusebox, I'd personally start looking over the loom, especially where it goes over/under the frame spar in the middle and also around the LH frame rail as it goes up to the headlight. The sort of areas where it could get rubbed through, do you have a meter to test for resistance?
waza1972
Light Smoker

Post by waza1972 »

I've been and bought one but have no idea on how to use it lol! but I will have to figure it out as I'm not taking it to any of these rip off garaged who will charge the earth and still not sort it. I will check the loom after wrk tomorrow night, cheers.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

replace the ignition switch by a cable you put directly into the connector to make the right connection.if he fuse than does not blow, it is the switch itself.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !